help with catcher's gear selection

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Agree with abs dad on the scorpion chest protector. DD doesn't have rubbing probs with the velcro, but they are coming undone all the time. She is re connecting the velcro every ten pitches or so. It will be ok for a while, but I am not buying another one.

Jun 4, 2015
mizuno samurai

my daughter won a bet with me and gets a new mitt and new gear. we have been looking at the mizuno samurai gear. does anybody have any better suggestions? she is 12 and 5'3" and plays travel team 12u, high school slow pitch, and probably high school fast pitch (tryouts in the fall). any and all help is greatly appreciated.

I recently bought my daughter the mizuno samurai catcher set and she loves it. We got it off of www.baseballbargains.com which also has many other sets. But like I said the mizuno samurai is awesome.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
Rawlings has the best protective leggings and padding that I have seen to date. Schutt has upgraded their knee padding and are right there. We did have a catcher split the plastic on the knee cup. (Less than a year on them) All Star and Under Armour have good leggings and great chest protectors. I wouldn't recommend split (creased) ab sections though. Catchers want to make sure they have a flat ab section and chest to drive a blocked pitch straight into the ground. Not see it deflect at an angle and have to get up and chase the ball with runners advancing. Wilson is popular (and good all around) I have a catcher that swears by Diamond gear. Easton has really improved their gear in the last 2 years.

Jul 6, 2013
My daughter just tried on a new set of the samurai gear and took it off within 10 seconds. She doesn't like the feel of the face mask. She said face ask protrudes too far out and she doesn't have the field of vision she does with her el cheapo all star helmet. Still on the hunt for new gear for her...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom