Help to teach to avoid interfernce rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 30, 2010
Eagle River Alaska
I am having a hard time explaining and correcting the interference rule, on runners between bases. I feel that the interference rule is to open and subjective. Any help is appreciated ! What would be the best way to close/change the rule?

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I am having a hard time explaining and correcting the interference rule, on runners between bases. I feel that the interference rule is to open and subjective. Any help is appreciated ! What would be the best way to close/change the rule?

Specifics can be more complicated, but basically tell you runners to not interfere with a fielder playing a batted ball or with any fielder or throw after being retired.

Jan 15, 2009
I would try to keep it simple. Explain to them that on a batted ball the fielder making a play on the ball has absolute first right to go to the ball. Runners are required to not interfere with her fielding the ball, no exceptions, doesn't matter if you are forced forward.

IME most don't have even that basic understanding. In their mind they have as much right to run between the bases as the fielder does and if they collide, it's not their fault, it's the fielders fault. This isn't bumping cars in a parking lot, it's defined pretty clearly who has first priority.

May 30, 2010
Eagle River Alaska
ok understand first priority, but now how do you defend the opposing coach from have his in-fielders from always just taking the step into the base path to field the ball? I understand the runners can not collide with the fielder but if the runner is just running from base to base and the fielder is behind the runner then how is that interference?

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
The runner has to avoid the fielder. Your best bet is to teach the runner to run behind the fielder on anything close. That actually protects you in two ways. First is avoiding interference as described. The second is helping protect the runner from being out if she is hit by the ball.

Your next question is probably "What about running out of the baseline?" Not a problem. The baseline is not established until there is a play on the runner. Umpires will also cut a runner slack if she is clearly trying to avoid contact.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06