HELP Oiled glove now too heavy?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
yes I can see that happening. do you think after 2 moths the glove is still infused or that most of that would have evaporated by now?

Where do you live? If you live in a dry climate it is probably bone dry. If you live in Florida like me not a chance. Sounds to me like it is a heavier glove and your DD just notices the difference. Especially if she had a lower quality synthetic glove and is now using a higher quality leather glove. Real leather is heavier which is why some of the premium gloves use exotic materials like kangaroo, buffalo and such since it is stronger by weight than regular cowhide.

My DD wants her glove laced with school colors so I am going to take The Project's suggestion and look at kevlar.

Last edited:

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
I agree with Rise. I believe the problem is more with the water soak than oil. I think a little heat, a little dirt, and alot of use will help. People tend to over do it with oil and conditioners. I conditions DDs Vinci 2 maybe 3 times a year. If I'm going to clean it, I use a slightly damp warm washcloth and then immediately buff with a good microfiber cloth. DD uses her glove quite a bit. Team practice 3 nights a week, pitching practice 1 night a week and tourney ball on the weekends. This is what I've found keeps her glove in the best shape. If I do oil a glove, I try to get as much time between oiling and game time so that nothing gets on the ball.

Oct 16, 2014
we live in the mid Atlantic and it's cold and VERY low humidity right now. She uses it at indoor practice 3X a week and we aren't playing games right now. Its a big step up from her old $40 glove so yes she is noticing it I guess.

Thanks!!

I like the colored laces idea, awesome!

Aug 28, 2013
Sorry, didn't mean to infer that the laces were making the glove heavy in the early post, just an easy way to remove needless weight from some gloves, especially this one if it seems too heavy now.

I agree, the problem with this one is the over steaming. (Glove+water+oil) x 3 = clogged leather pores and trapped moisture. Sorry for the math problem :)

By the way, have I mentioned how bad steaming is for a glove??!! There is more than just leather on the inside, none of which needs to get wet if it can be prevented. Every time I see some 18 yr old kid at a Dicks steaming a 300-400$ Rawlings Primo I want to cry, but then again I'm a glove nerd.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00