Help Needed...Loss of Speed for DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 6, 2014
Could someone please take video clips of my dd and put them into slow motion to identify the problem in her mechanics. Her speed is way down and I thought her speed would return as she has been focusing more on accuracy. As the old saying goes "use it or lose it"...well, I think she has lost it...lol. She is 16 and just finished her sophomore high school season. She used to throw so hard so easily and she just can't do it anymore. Would like to get some advice from some very qualified people here.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
There are many DFP posters who can slow down your clips. I've become quite adept at doing it due to being jealous of the others who do it.

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
I am by no means an expert but, you said your DDs velocity dropped off when she really started working on accuracy. My DD tends to lose quite a bit of velocity when she tries to "steer" the ball instead of staying relaxed and smooth.

Feb 17, 2014
After 7 years of catching for pitching lessons and DD2 pitching now as a freshman, the key I believe is what ArkFastpitch said. Stay tall, relaxed, and smooth. Tensing up to try to really put some speed on the ball only slows the pitch down.

My DD2 was hitting 60 pretty regularly in her HS regionals. Smooth and relaxed. We got to the state playoffs and she dropped down to the low 50's. She was still getting strikeouts and groundballs but her speed dropped way off. She said she thought she was really throwing hard but I think she was nervous about her first playoff game and really wanted to win a game in the state playoffs and was just trying to hard.

At lessons the next day she was back up to her normal speed.

So relaxed and smooth. relaxed and smooth. relaxed and smooth.

Easy for us to say. Not so easy for our DD's to do but it is the key.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K4man