Help me with this swing!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 9, 2014
We have been working with her swing for quite some time now and is getting better. However there is something that doesnt seem quite right? Any advices?

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Looks pretty good to me. Great front side, stays short, gets her hips through....all good things.
I would suggest having her start with her hands closer to inside her shoulder, and a touch larger stride, so that in her stretch/load, she'll have more to offer. JMHO, Good luck, James

May 4, 2014
So Cal
IMHO: She looks like she is rotating her shoulders and hips together which is making her open up too soon and not allowing her to get the torque from torso... I didnt put it in slow motion but it looks like hip/belly/shoulders are all rotating at the same time... she needs to drive to the ball with foot, knee, hip, shoulder in that order which will allow more power and faster swing... basically the hip should be facing the pitcher ahead of the shoulders....

Does she tend to hit with end of bat and/or less power than the swing speed implies?

Two more subtle things:
Bat path was down onto contact and she could finish a tad higher on her swing....looked at it again and the hip/shoulder have a slight separation...

Like others said her swing looks solid and not something that needs A LOT of work.. just some subtle tuning... her head was slightly back at contact -

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2014
Some snap shots of the swing!! What you guys think about the back elbow?

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
The rotation does look good. As far as I could see in the clip, it looked like a swing plane issue. The pics seem to support the swing plane issue. See how at contact the shoulders are level and the back forearm doesn't align to ball impact, the hands are very high as well at contact.

Let me see if I can download the clip and look at closer.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I would never teach the hands to start that high. Slightly above the back shoulder is fine, slightly. I would change that right away. If the hitter has some comfort level with high hands in the stance, then I would have them lower them to shoulder level during the load.

The thing is she has alot of good things happening in the swing. And for how high the hands start, there is no significant dropping, bat lag, etc.,. Although the hands are out of the plane of the shoulders and their rotational plane. So they are traveling down and forward to much. You can see how the lead arm is working downward throughout 2/3 of the swing and then "tries" to get on the plane of the ball.

One word Posture and swing plane, posture sets the swing plane. With the hands lower, have her start upright and swing level and high. Once they learn how to swing in the rotational plane of the shoulders and how the swing works with the bodies momentum path. Then have them tilt at the hip joints and continue to swing in the rotation path of the shoulders. The swing should be down, level, and up to the naked eye. But in reality it is the same level swing taken while erect. The arms/hands/bat just follow the rotational path of the torso/shoulders.

Again she does allot of good stuff. The rotation looks pretty damn good. Even with the high hands and swinging out of plane, she has good connection of the arm/hands to the body. Until as she approaches contact and through contact because of the mis-alignment between the body and swing. The she disconnects the arms from the body

Last edited:
May 20, 2015
It's hard to tell for certain, but the tee looks to be too far away from your hitter.
If that is the case, she has over rotated for that ball position (outside pitch).
That would also cause the ball to take the path it did, down to the ground.
The outside pitch would require her to stop rotation sooner.
The other alternative would be to place the tee farther back (towards the catcher) but keep
the tee on the outside like it is currently.
Ball position is the name of the game when doing tee work.

I highly suggest you get Bustos' 3 DVD instructional set. Trust me, it will be the best
money you will spend on hitting instruction, excluding quality live hitting lessons.
I've gone through it all, and this has worked for my kid (who plays softball in college)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors