help for a one handed hitter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2009
She physically has two hands, but swings with only the lead arm, letting go with the top hand just before POC. She is palm down and extends (straightens) the lead elbow too much making her a pull hitter as you would guess, but otherwise has an ok swing needing minor tweaks. Regardless of how many times she is reminded, she quickly reverts back to what is 'natural' muscle memory...the one handed swing. I'm beginning to think duct tape, but wonder if you have other suggestions.

Thanks!
VW

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
She physically has two hands, but swings with only the lead arm, letting go with the top hand just before POC. She is palm down and extends (straightens) the lead elbow too much making her a pull hitter as you would guess, but otherwise has an ok swing needing minor tweaks. Regardless of how many times she is reminded, she quickly reverts back to what is 'natural' muscle memory...the one handed swing. I'm beginning to think duct tape, but wonder if you have other suggestions.

Thanks!
VW

VW

I have had this happen before and there is a progression to it....

Start with her holding a ball in her top hand and interlock the index finger to the baby finger in the top hand ( please no duct tape yet).

Explain to her to keep both hands together as she throws the ball and the inter locked fingers will help her. Keep repeating and she will get it!

Now let her drive some nails with a hammer right and left handed. Get an old bat and let her gently hit the knob of the bat with the hammer to allow her to feel the action of the wrist.

Set a tee up so the ball is in the middle of home plate and 2 to 3 inches forward of home plate with a ball on it.

Next we do a drill call the matrix drill where we get in our stance and separate to toe touch and them as slowly as possible she strides and moves her hands rearward slightly.

Then say elbows and she slowly lowers her back elbow a little as the lead elbow moves forward and up slightly.

Then we say parallel to contact and the top hand is over the elbow as it passes the rear shoulder and we are leading with the knob. We explain the path of the knob is inside the ball
and we release the barrel to the ball still being very slow and deliberate.

Then say contact and gently tap the ball off the tee to extension and finish over your shoulder.

Keep repeating and slowly pick up the pace.

In your case we modify the drill and I tell them to point the top hand index finger at the pitcher and say this ones for YOU!

Check her grip in the top hand as described in another thread to assure she can indeed hold the bat during point of contact.

Thanks Howard

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12