Tips/drills for getting DD to use her hips and lower body

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 31, 2011
Some of the instruction I believe I heard here included … “let the shoulders do the work” … “don’t roll the hands”.
Yes, I was running the camera and an instructor was helping her. I need to figure out a way to use what I saw in the video posted by redhotcoach and incorporate it in drill form.

When I was watching my DDs video all I kept thinking was "squish the bug" too...ugh

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
Have her do what I call "The Jump Back Drill". She should stand with her feet together (knees flexed) with her bat in a ready position, then jump back toward the catcher about 3 to 4 feet to her back foot (feeling an exaggeration of a weight transfer to the back leg) then stride and swing (one continuous movement). She could do this off a tee, front toss, side toss or even live.

This also helps those that tend to get loaded too late.

Good luck.

Mar 3, 2011
GA
Have her do what I call "The Jump Back Drill". She should stand with her feet together (knees flexed) with her bat in a ready position, then jump back toward the catcher about 3 to 4 feet to her back foot (feeling an exaggeration of a weight transfer to the back leg) then stride and swing (one continuous movement). She could do this off a tee, front toss, side toss or even live.

This also helps those that tend to get loaded too late.

Good luck.

I do this drill too! It works well with hitting and throwing!

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Redhotcoach, i like the video of the front side press, and so many coaches around me teach just as he says, spin the back leg, and stay back on it.

However does he not believe in coil, uncoil, or is this included in his approach and just not mentioned here?
Parker, believes coil uncoil, but is not mentioned, like yeager, in parkers teaching videos.

Oct 14, 2008
redhotcoach is correct in my opinion. Her weight is all left on the back side. She uses her hips only to rotate and not to drive. If the bottom half dosent work correctly then it really dosent matter what the top does. one of the reasons she dosent use her hips is because she cannot feel them work. It is extremely important for her to feel something before she can know how to correct it. For her to find feel and fix her hip issue the one drill I would recommend to start is this.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA