"Hello elbow"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
I'm going to disagree that the coachataclick is a hello elbow. She's throwing with a long arm and finishing upwards and I see some IR going on in there. Hello elbow to me is when you finish your pitch by pulling your palm up tight towards your throwing shoulder and really close the elbow. Sort of like if you are trying to pinch a piece of paper between your upper and lower arm right at your elbow. It's easily felt.

Jul 14, 2008
International Hello Elbow Training.........

OH MY GAUD.........This nice guy spends almost the ENTIRE VIDEO SHOWING how NOT to properly "throw" the ball.......Wrist "waves" and "Hello Elbow" Drills!

Then......In the last few minutes, he performs a walk through demo and full pitch........And LOW AND BEHOLD........EVERYTHING HE TEACHES ABOUT THROWING GOES OUT THE WINDOW.........And BOOM! I/R Whip!............NO HELLO ELBOW!

His students will spend countless HOURS practicing what he teaches.......Only to become frustrated why they can't throw it like he does.........

STUDY YOUR CRAFT TEACHERS!.........Teach I/R FROM THE BEGINNING.........There is absolutely ZERO reason not to......You OWE IT to your students who are PAYING YOU to UNDERSTAND it!

UNLESS you don't really understand how to throw a softball underhand and DON'T CARE.......
Sheesh........;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 31, 2010
I'm going to disagree that the coachataclick is a hello elbow. She's throwing with a long arm and finishing upwards and I see some IR going on in there. Hello elbow to me is when you finish your pitch by pulling your palm up tight towards your throwing shoulder and really close the elbow. Sort of like if you are trying to pinch a piece of paper between your upper and lower arm right at your elbow. It's easily felt.

You're right, hers isn't as bad as a lot of others. I think her video does give a good side view of bringing the arm to/toward her shoulder which gives the OP an idea of what the hello elbow is.

Aug 21, 2008
Boardmember, that video was like the proverbial train wreck. I just couldn't look away despite being sickened by what I was seeing. I would love to know where that was done, any idea? I can tell you that I have never seen that pitcher before so I am not sure where or what level he plays.

Bill

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
BM - Grow up and show a little class. There's clearly value in the technical aspects of your posts. And there's no doubt you've helped many pitchers, both directly, through your hands-on work with students, and indirectly, through your on-line contrirbutions here and elsewhere. I usually find the pompous attitude and ego that typically accompany your posts amusing and entertaining. I understand that you have an issue with the pitching mechanics in the instructional clip you've posted. Fine, no problem questioning that pitcher's understanding and knowledge, or lack thereof. However, if you're questioning their integrity, then that assumes that you must have particular insight to know that they know that what they are teaching is wrong versus them simply being ignorant and teaching what they believe is right, even if it isn't. That is the distinction between ignorance and dishonesty. Unless you know how and what she teaches and what motiviates her to teach, your questioning Screwball's integrity demonstrates your ignorance and is entirely inappropriate.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 4, 2009
Baltimore
Greenmonsters, you make some valid points but you have got to agree that what some of these people are teaching is so far fetched that if this were the medical field it would be malpractice. It would also qualify as gross negligence. I think there needs to be a governing body or something that comes out with the standards for pitching that covers what Gillis and Hillhouse teach are the "absolutes". This would get these pretenders out of the game.

Jan 27, 2010
BM - Grow up and show a little class. There's clearly value in the technical aspects of your posts. And there's no doubt you've helped many pitchers, both directly, through your hands-on work with students, and indirectly, through your on-line contrirbutions here and elsewhere. I usually find the pompous attitude and ego that typically accompany your posts amusing and entertaining. I understand that you have an issue with the pitching mechanics in the instructional clip you've posted. Fine, no problem questioning that pitcher's understanding and knowledge, or lack thereof. However, if you're questioning their integrity, then that assumes that you must have particular insight to know that they know that what they are teaching is wrong versus them simply being ignorant and teaching what they believe is right, even if it isn't. That is the distinction between ignorance and dishonesty. Unless you know how and what she teaches and what motiviates her to teach, your questioning Screwball's integrity demonstrates your ignorance and is entirely inappropriate.

Greenmonsters, a very appropiate post.

Jan 27, 2010
Must be another of Rita's students. Straight arm, no snap, hello elbow follow through. All I can say is that when watching the WCWS I saw no one doing what this girl is demonstrating.
CoachFP, I've seen many of Rita's students in local showcases in my area and her pitchers do very well.

Jul 17, 2012
Agree! No reason to specifically call out another forum member. Keep it up BoardMember, and maybe you'll be able to get this post closed, as you did my very first post on this forum.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
For anyone who thinks BM's emphasis on internal rotation is just another "style" of teaching pitching, no better or no worse than the the pitching coaches teaching "hello elbow" mechanics; should really watch the videos of Amanda Scarborough in super slow motion. If this doesn't convince you that "hello elbow" is complete nonsense, I don't know if you will ever be convinced. The irony is that Amanda has another video on youtube where she is teaching basic pitching mechanics and teaches nothing like how she actually pitches (same with Jennie Finch, and countless others). It's unfortunate because their pitching students could be a lot more accomplished pitchers if they actually understood and used proper pitching mechanics.

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/sof...nda-scarborough-powerdrive-product-video.html

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck