Hearing Dad

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 24, 2010
My DD has been playing Travel Ball for 4 seasons now. For 2 of those years I was a spectator and 1 year as a coach. This year I'm a spectator again and asked DD what did you like about having me coach last year. She said, 'Dad I didn't hear you yelling like a mad man'. Wow, that kind of hit the heart a bit. I learned to project my voice pretty good when I was in the military. Though she liked my presence at the game it sort of embarassed her and it made her nervous to hear my voice out in the stands. Looking back I could have handled things differently. I believe, I over did it because my father didn't attend any of my athletic events growing up and I wanted her to know that I was there.
I guess my point is parents, take a few moments and talk to your DDs. Your relationship is a team effort. Also, make sure you are cheering for the whole team and not just your DD.

We will see how it goes this season. I believe to help, I'm going to keep my own set of stats as something else to focus on.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Good advice.

The worst case of this of helicopter coaching was at a HS tennis match.

In case anyone doesn't know, there are different shots in tennis (drop, overhead, forehand, backhand, volley, etc.). So, on a particular shot, the player has to determine which shot to hit and then the location for each shot (down the line, cross court, front court, back court). These parents were sitting in lawn chairs just off the court and behind their kids telling them (it was a doubles match) what shot to hit and where to place it. So, literally, the parents had made these kids little robots.

May 25, 2010
My kid goes back and forth in regards to how loud she wants me to be, but says she generally loves me being loud in soccer, and is cool with me being far less vocal in softball.

She needs to completely focus when she's playing, but loves to know my wife and me are there and always seems to know where we are in the stands.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
On a close knit team all parents will encourage every girl on the team , not just their own daughter. I said encourage, not tell them how to play. If the coaches are doing their job, parents will have nothing to add. It good to have fun with them too sometimes, say funny things and make them laugh. Keep them loose and having fun.

I hear some teams where the stands are coaching, or especially that one loud dad is telling everyone on field what to do. That is truly embarrassing . Without fail, it is a team that is poor.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles