Head-on Crash

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 18, 2010
During a high-school Varsity practice two fielders collided going after a fly ball. As a result, one of the girls goes to the hospital for x-rays and is negative on the concussion but sits out for entire week. The second fielder recieves a broken tooth, and various bumps and bruises but no head injures, head-aches etc. Although she was done for the day, she went on to play the next day and so forth. Two days after the incident she informs me about the accident, but the coach of the team never mentioned a word of it herself. As the parent of the player that received the broken tooth, I'm infuriated over the fact that I wasn't notified that my daughter was involved in a crash that sent another to the hospital. Am I wrong to feel this way ? How should I approach this situation with the coach and the school without jeapordizing my daughter as a player ?

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I would talk to the A.D. They must have some kind of policy in place that has to be followed to the T. Even if anyone doesn't think it is serious, a note or call should be sent home. I would bet the school has some kind of policy, but it wasn't followed.
A friend was telling us a few weeks ago that she got a call to come to the school because her son was having an asthma attack while lifting with the wrestling team. She got there within a half hour and found out that he had actually blacked out for several minutes. No one called an ambulance, trainer, or even the school nurse. They called his mom! He ended up just fine, but mom was rightfully angry and A.D. understood. It was enough for A.D. to make sure every coach and trainer knows their policies and follows them exactly.
Talk to them, we parents need to know. The girls may seem fine at the time, but things like blood clods from the collision may not show signs for days, and without knowledge of the collision, parents may not take the signs serious.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2009
IL
I personally would put more of that responsibility on my daughter. If she felt it was a significant event, why wouldn’t she say anything? I would have appreciated the coach saying something but I wouldn’t make an issue of it.

I would talk to the A.D. They must have some kind of policy in place that has to be followed to the T. Even if anyone doesn't think it is serious, a note or call should be sent home. I would bet the school has some kind of policy, but it wasn't followed.
A friend was telling us a few weeks ago that she got a call to come to the school because her son was having an asthma attack while lifting with the wrestling team. She got there within a half hour and found out that he had actually blacked out for several minutes. No one called an ambulance, trainer, or even the school nurse. They called his mom! He ended up just fine, but mom was rightfully angry and A.D. understood. It was enough for A.D. to make sure every coach and trainer knows their policies and follows them exactly.
Talk to them, we parents need to know. The girls may seem fine at the time, but things like blood clods from the collision may not show signs for days, and without knowledge of the collision, parents may not take the signs serious.

I found out my son was injured in high school baseball practice, because another parent was there and saw it. My son didn't tell me. He seems to be afraid I'll tell him to rest it and don't play. The school didn't tell me anything.

After 2 days of rest, my son says his arm/shoulder is all fine. He told me he has no more pain.

Last week on the day when they have games and I drove my son to school, and told the two coaches that my son was injured and even though he says he is fine now, please watch out and don't strain him. Take him out of the game if necessary. I wasn't happy the coach(es) didn't send any message to me -- unless they are so oblivious they didn't know my son hurt himself the other day.

After reading this thread I would think both the kid and the school coach(es) need to inform the parents. I'm going to write a note to the school, requesting that they (school/coaches) need to notify me if he is injured in any way.

May 13, 2008
Yes, you should be upset. It is your right to be informed of any incidents which could jeopardize your child's health. Here is a precautionary tale from a player-to-player collision...

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
I can't imagine our school coach calling about this... if you didn't go to the hospital, she would most likely expect you to inform your parents about it. This is HIGH SCHOOL, you are old enough to tell your mother what happened. Honestly, this isn't 10U where parents need to be called because Sally bumped her head at practice and is crying (when she's really perfectly fine, she's just a whiny kid). At the HS level, you should be responsible enough to inform your parents of an accident. If it is serious enough to send you to the hospital, then call of course.

Oct 19, 2009
I can't imagine our school coach calling about this... if you didn't go to the hospital, she would most likely expect you to inform your parents about it. This is HIGH SCHOOL, you are old enough to tell your mother what happened. Honestly, this isn't 10U where parents need to be called because Sally bumped her head at practice and is crying (when she's really perfectly fine, she's just a whiny kid). At the HS level, you should be responsible enough to inform your parents of an accident. If it is serious enough to send you to the hospital, then call of course.

Got to agree with Amanda on this one. I'm dumbfounded that a girl with a broken tooth wouldn't tell her parents about this. Seems like a significant event to report on. Hardly a day in the life.

Dad: "How was school?"
DD: "Fine"
Dad: "Learn anything?"
DD: "Not really (typical answer)".
Dad: "How was practice?"
DD: "Oh the usual, broke a tooth".

Feb 9, 2009
yep. I have to admit that I agree with Amanda too!
Having been a HS coach, I would've expected the girl to tell her parents. Especially if she drives herself home after practice. (the other girl's parents would've definately heard from me!) I bet your DD, when asked by the coach how she was, replied "I'm okay..."
Yes, it was clearly a harsh collision, but more for the other kid. Your daughter thought nothing of it, not really. She would've said something to you otherwise.
If HS coaches are expected to inform parents every time kids collide....well, think about it. Soccer. Football. Basketball. PE. THE HALLWAY. the list goes on...
Tell your DD to start speaking up...

May 7, 2008
Tucson
If the coach knew that she broke a tooth though, it should have been reported to both the parent and the coach's supervisor.

I am wondering how you didn't notice a broken tooth?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA