Head movement

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 14, 2015
What can be learned from watching head position, head movement during the swing sequence? I saw an instructor holding a batters head still with a stick. Is this the goal, to never move the head?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
34q21x4.gif

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
I guess you can hold the head literally,L, i have, but the gif Five has posted shows how what the spine does, the head does.

I have seen so many coaches yell to keep the head in, or do not pull your head, while telling them to swing level, and stop golfing.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
What can be learned from watching head position, head movement during the swing sequence? I saw an instructor holding a batters head still with a stick. Is this the goal, to never move the head?

Less movement is better. Why? Try tracking any object or performing any task while moving your head around, and then do it while keeping it still. Even in the GIF above, the head doesn't move at all until the swing begins, it doesn't move much, and that small tilt is compensating for upper body movement to keep the eyes locked on the ball. An above poster commented that "what the spine does, the head does". Although that is true, it's also true that the upper body follows the head.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
If DD takes a pitch she ducks. Umpire even said something to her HC that is a strike because she ducked.

What I like about Five’s video is that both eyes are on the ball.

You do not want to be a statue up there, head is going to move.

Jul 21, 2015
Less movement is better. Why? Try tracking any object or performing any task while moving your head around, and then do it while keeping it still. Even in the GIF above, the head doesn't move at all until the swing begins, it doesn't move much, and that small tilt is compensating for upper body movement to keep the eyes locked on the ball. An above poster commented that "what the spine does, the head does". Although that is true, it's also true that the upper body follows the head.

Less movement is better for what? If you're transferring your weight forward (as you should), your head is moving forward as well (in addition to moving in line with a tilted spine as FFS posted).

<iframe src='http://gfycat.com/ifr/EnviousFirmCommabutterfly' frameborder='0' scrolling='no' width='650' height='366' style='-webkit-backface-visibility: hidden;-webkit-transform: scale(1);' ></iframe>

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
The head will go forward, the head will go up or down. It is impossible to Pull your head with tilt over the plate, try it.

Visual perception, and tracking a moving object , will improve with "some" head movement.
If you are an outfielder, you will understand my point. You will not get the visual information you need with a still head.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Less movement is better for what? If you're transferring your weight forward (as you should), your head is moving forward as well (in addition to moving in line with a tilted spine as FFS posted).

<iframe src='http://gfycat.com/ifr/EnviousFirmCommabutterfly' frameborder='0' scrolling='no' width='650' height='366' style='-webkit-backface-visibility: hidden;-webkit-transform: scale(1);' ></iframe>

You're splitting hairs, there, strawman. Even in your GIF, the head is pretty stable and still.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild