Head first slide. Like or dislike

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
Head first sliding was all the rage in college softball this year, maybe the year before. It was like a fad that came out of no where. I could 100% see top level players that were uncomfortable with it and it looked slooooooooow for them.

Some players know when and where to do it and its cool for them.

May 12, 2016
Headfirst slide is actually very useful at home plate. You can slide right through/over the plate and you have much more control to be creative in avoiding the tag.

May 12, 2016
How do you head first slide with breasts? My dd had to do it at a 12u tryout and she sprained her finger,
How do you dive head first in the outfield with breasts. I can't answer that because I don't have any, :). But my DD dives head first in the outfield quite often, so it doesn't seem to be a problem. Also don't see what having breasts has to do with spraining a finger, :)

Jun 8, 2016
I never did it other than to get back to 1st on a pickoff attempt.

My DD never did it until this weekend and then she decided to slide head first into home when she could have crawled on all fours backwards and still made it with 10 seconds to spare..#10YOs... :ROFLMAO:

Oct 4, 2018
I'm okay with a head-first dive back to the base, but I don't like it for a full-speed slide.

Agreed. For whatever reason I now know of 5 girls who have broken wrists/arms due to head first slides. All in the past month. Either they've never been taught, or they just should be taught not to do it.

Nov 18, 2015
Purely speculating - but I believe the proper technique involves having your palms touch down first, then possibly forearms, stomach, waist, and legs.

If you somehow end up hitting chest first, chances are you just belly flopped to a dead stop, or have also just scraped you face along the ground, making you forget about the discomfort anywhere else on your body.

I believe keeping your head up is what will keep your chest up.

(Says the guy who's never slide head first in his life, and is too old to start now.)

May 4, 2014
So Cal
I teach it for dive backs to the base. I don’t teach it for sliding into base mainly because I’m afraid of the potential injuries and at this age group (12u). Head first into first is just dumb sorry it’s not faster and i see no point in risking injury AND being slower thru the bag...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
I teach it for dive backs to the base. I don’t teach it for sliding into base mainly because I’m afraid of the potential injuries and at this age group (12u). Head first into first is just dumb sorry it’s not faster and i see no point in risking injury AND being slower thru the bag...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The only time I can see it warranted when running to first is if the throw is up the line and high and a slide will help to avoid a potential tag. That said most players are not really savvy enough to be able to judge that situation in a fraction of second.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06