HBP?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
At a PGF game this past weekend, we had a batter hit on the hand. She made a check-swing, but did not compete the swing. The umpire verified that the ball was not in the strike zone, or in the batter's box. He called it a "ball", and the batter was not awarded 1B. Ump stated that the ball hit her hand "above the plate" (but it not in the strike zone). He did not mention if she attempted to avoid or not as part of his ruling.

ASA Rule:
When a pitched ball, not swung at nor called a strike, touches any part of the batter's person including the hands or clothing. The batter's hands are not part of the bat.
Effect:
1. The ball is dead
2. The batter is awarded first base.
Exception: If not attempt is made to avoid being hit, the batter will not be awarded first base, unless it it ball four.

Shouldn't this have been an award to 1B?

Jan 22, 2011
I believe PGF follows NFHS rules. Maybe NFHS only awards a base if the pitch is in the batter's box?

Apr 12, 2015
As far as I know PGF follows the NFHS rule set.

Under that rule set the only situation where the batter is HBP and a ball is called is if they fail to attempt to avoid contact.

The relevant section:
"...a pitched ball, not entirely in the batter's box, not swung at nor called a strike touches any part of the batter's person or clothing. It does not matter if the ball strikes the ground before hitting the batter. The batter's hands are not considered part of the bat. An attempt to avoid being hit is required. If no attempt to avoid contact is made, the batter is not awarded first base and a ball is called."

"Penalties:
1. The ball is dead. The batter is entitled to one base without liability to be put out.
2. If the batter is hit anywhere on the body, including the hands, while swinging at a pitch and hits the ball fair or foul the ball is dead and a strike is called. If it is strike three, the batter is out."

The way you describe it the only thing I can think of is the umpire judged the batter made no attempt to move out of the way of the ball.....

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal

Under that rule set the only situation where the batter is HBP and a ball is called unless they fail to attempt to avoid contact.

The relevant section:
"...a pitched ball, not entirely in the batter's box, not swung at nor called a strike touches any part of the batter's person or clothing. It does not matter if the ball strikes the ground before hitting the batter. The batter's hands are not considered part of the bat. An attempt to avoid being hit is required. If not attempt to avoid contact is made, the batter is not awarded first base and a ball is called."

"Penalties:
1. The ball is dead. The batter is entitled to one base without liability to be put out.
2. If the batter is hit anywhere on the body, including the hands, while swinging at a pitch and hits the ball fair or foul the ball is dead and a strike is called. If it is strike three, the batter is out."

The way you describe it the only thing I can think of is the umpire judged the batter made no attempt to move out of the way of the ball.....

That's the only thing that makes sense to me, too, but that was not part of his explanation of his ruling when questioned by the HC.

May 29, 2015
I’m not familiar with PGF rules.

In USA the batter HAS to make an attempt to get out of the way of the ball, regardless of where the ball is. If no attempt is made, it is either a dead ball ball (out of the zone) or a dead ball strike (in the zone).

In NFHS the batter may have to make an attempt to move. If the ball is entirely in the batter’s box, the batter does not have to attempt to move out of the way. If the ball is partially out of the box but not in the strike zone (meaning the batter is leaning out of the box), an attempt to move must be made in order to be awarded first base (otherwise it is a dead ball ball or a dead ball strike if it is in the zone).

If PGF follows NFHS, that ruling makes sense. The ball hit the batter outside of the batter’s box and outside of the strike zone. She would have needed to make an attempt to move (checking her swing is not an attempt to move).

The fact that it occurred over the top of the strike zone is unusual. (Sounds like a swing to me if her hands were over the zone.)

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I’m not familiar with PGF rules.

In USA the batter HAS to make an attempt to get out of the way of the ball, regardless of where the ball is. If no attempt is made, it is either a dead ball ball (out of the zone) or a dead ball strike (in the zone).

In NFHS the batter may have to make an attempt to move. If the ball is entirely in the batter’s box, the batter does not have to attempt to move out of the way. If the ball is partially out of the box but not in the strike zone (meaning the batter is leaning out of the box), an attempt to move must be made in order to be awarded first base (otherwise it is a dead ball ball or a dead ball strike if it is in the zone).

If PGF follows NFHS, that ruling makes sense. The ball hit the batter outside of the batter’s box and outside of the strike zone. She would have needed to make an attempt to move (checking her swing is not an attempt to move).

The fact that it occurred over the top of the strike zone is unusual. (Sounds like a swing to me if her hands were over the zone.)

The ump stated that her hands were over the zone/plate, which was the basis for his call. He did not mention a lack of attempt to avoid. It's possible he got the result correct, even though his explanation for the ruling was confused.

She did not swing. The barrel started to come around, but was held up well behind the hands. It wasn't even a close call about whether or not she swung.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago

Under that rule set the only situation where the batter is HBP and a ball is called is if they fail to attempt to avoid contact.

The relevant section:
"...a pitched ball, not entirely in the batter's box, not swung at nor called a strike touches any part of the batter's person or clothing. It does not matter if the ball strikes the ground before hitting the batter. The batter's hands are not considered part of the bat. An attempt to avoid being hit is required. If no attempt to avoid contact is made, the batter is not awarded first base and a ball is called."

"Penalties:

Not disagreeing with you here, but the "an attempt to avoid being hit is required" only refers to a pitch that's "not entirely in the batter's box." If the ball is entirely in the batter's box, the batter doesn't have to do anything.

So it does seem this rule was applied correctly assuming the ball was "over the plate" (but, I presume, not a strike?).

Apr 12, 2015
You are correct.

The part of a pitched ball entirely in the batter's box is before the section I quoted, so I can see how it is a little confusing when the section isn't posted in it's entirety since it comes back to the attempt to get out of the way at the end of my quote.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez