Hawkins Off-Speed Curve?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
No-sadly the esteemed Mr. Balswick does not post much up on Youtube or his Website. I have only found the three videos on his website that have been posted before (balswick fastpitch) and this old recruiting video of Hawkins.

Edy

May 24, 2010
Intersting...I know the announcer said it was a curveball. However, the axis of the ball looks only slight tilted. Seems like it is more drop than curve.

I had the same impression. I saw a drop crossing from left to right

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Looks like a drop curve to me. Hand rolls, finish is forward, ball cuts left to right for leftie, right to left for rightie.

I don't see how the hand finish position matters? The ball clearly has pretty much complete 12-6 spin, maybe slightly off axis. May be thrown right to left, but it does not look like it can actually break right to left (facing pitcher). This looks like an off speed drop thrown inside to me.

I would expect a drop/curve to have more of a 3-8 spin (or for those of us who believe that 2 seam pitches break, a big bald spot) :)

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
As I recall, Keilani Ricketts' crop duster was pretty much a dropball to the opposite corner. Looks amazing from the rear, but the video from behind the plate tells the story.

Last edited:
May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
I don't see how the hand finish position matters? The ball clearly has pretty much complete 12-6 spin, maybe slightly off axis. May be thrown right to left, but it does not look like it can actually break right to left (facing pitcher). This looks like an off speed drop thrown inside to me.

I would expect a drop/curve to have more of a 3-8 spin (or for those of us who believe that 2 seam pitches break, a big bald spot) :)

I wish they had a video like this for learning how to make a softball spin! So much fastpitch info but not much on the spins and grips, ok when I say not much I mean not as much as I'd like:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad