having difficulty making solid contact

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

T

theaddition

I only have video of my daughter off the tee but thought this video would be a start- I will try to get her hitting off a toss as well = thanks for any comments or advice. Problem may be she is rolling her hands. (BTW she is in 8th grade- 14u)

EEC.MOV - YouTube

She loads improperly(Extremely common for this age group)She creates "false" separation. By that I mean her hands go back when she picks up her lead foot.
If you look at the Jen Yee clip in the techincal forum here at DFP you'll see that as she moves forward her hands go back.
Yee also uses a bat tip prior to her hands going back. The bat tip is a movement that "tames" the hands (delays the hands going back). Yee's hands can't go back until the bat barrel is untipped (returned to a less verticle position).
I mention this because it may work for your DD. She needs a movement to delay her speration.
Other possible methods to introduce a delay (there are dozens) to your DD would be a hand pump (Bonds) or a forward hands set to loaded hand set ala Jeff kent. You'll need to experiment with hundreds of practice swings as it will be an un-natural move.

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
She loads improperly(Extremely common for this age group)She creates "false" separation. By that I mean her hands go back when she picks up her lead foot.
If you look at the Jen Yee clip in the techincal forum here at DFP you'll see that as she moves forward her hands go back.
Yee also uses a bat tip prior to her hands going back. The bat tip is a movement that "tames" the hands (delays the hands going back). Yee's hands can't go back until the bat barrel is untipped (returned to a less verticle position).
I mention this because it may work for your DD. She needs a movement to delay her speration.
Other possible methods to introduce a delay (there are dozens) to your DD would be a hand pump (Bonds) or a forward hands set to loaded hand set ala Jeff kent. You'll need to experiment with hundreds of practice swings as it will be an un-natural move.

Hitters shouldn't really load their hands, they should load their rear arm/elbow to throw the barrel. The hands move back because the loading movement of the rear arm/scap/elbow moves the hands. The bat tilt is a result of a good rear arm and back side load. The load is the goal, not the tilt. The tilt is a good byproduct of a good load.

This girl uses way too much front side pull during her swing that causes much of her head tilt. Load and use more of the rear arm/top hand and the head tilt will lesson.

T

theaddition

Hitters shouldn't really load their hands, they should load their rear arm/elbow to throw the barrel. The hands move back because the loading movement of the rear arm/scap/elbow moves the hands. The bat tilt is a result of a good rear arm and back side load. The load is the goal, not the tilt. The tilt is a good byproduct of a good load.

Ridiculous. Go tell that to Youklis and the like.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild