Have you tried convering to Austin Wasserman throwing patterns?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Tom House's stuff is based on biomechanical analysis of the overhand pitching motion. He's looking to reduce stress on pitchers' elbows and shoulders in particular. The "L" drill emphasizes keeping the elbow higher than the shoulder and the wrist outside the elbow. But, you don't necessarily want or need your infielders to throw like a pitcher.

Thanks for the clairification.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Thanks everybody that responded! Eric, this is exciting to hear! So how does your dd feel about her throwing?

I would say she is VERY confident in her throwing ability. Recently, it became vividly apparent to me that I can no longer throw significantly harder or more accurately than my 10yo DD (that makes for an interesting mix of pride and humility). Last week, she picked off 3 runners in 2 innings with very strong and accurate throws in the pressure of a game situation. If I'm standing on 2B, she has the ability to throw the ball over my head and well out into the OF grass from behind the plate. I would say she's on a good path.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
I'm converting DS right now. The full body sequence is, as stated, vital. He's starting to get it, and his sequencing is improving. I wish I'd had t his years ago when I 1st started teaching him and DD to throw.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
Is there a code to punch in when you purchase this to get the discount for DFP members? I know I read others were being billed full price?

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Is there a code to punch in when you purchase this to get the discount for DFP members? I know I read others were being billed full price?

If you purchase on the 1st or 15th of the month, you pay $50. Any other days and it's full price.
Hope this helps.

Edited: just saw the other post has the $35 price. Not sure on that. Sorry

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2013
Texas
I would say she is VERY confident in her throwing ability. Recently, it became vividly apparent to me that I can no longer throw significantly harder or more accurately than my 10yo DD (that makes for an interesting mix of pride and humility). Last week, she picked off 3 runners in 2 innings with very strong and accurate throws in the pressure of a game situation. If I'm standing on 2B, she has the ability to throw the ball over my head and well out into the OF grass from behind the plate. I would say she's on a good path.

Fantastic!

How far could she throw before the coversion?

How long did it take her to change to AW'S way of throwing?

Thanks Eric! Super excited to get started!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Fantastic!

How far could she throw before the coversion?

How long did it take her to change to AW'S way of throwing?

Thanks Eric! Super excited to get started!

I can't really answer with specifics because she really didn't have a "conversion", per se. Her natural throwing pattern when she started playing at 8yo became pretty efficient very quickly on its own. As I learned more, there was some fine-tuning along the way to help her get more from her pattern, but it hasn't been a big re-learning process.

In my work with trying to help my DD's teammates, kids "get it" in their own time. Some are faster than others to adopt a new pattern, and some struggle to make a change.

May 20, 2013
I'm in the process of converting my daughter also (10 year old catcher). In 3 months there has already been a substantial improvement in the strength of her throws. She understands where she needs to get the ball to prior to forward movement of the arm, but she doesn't always do it yet, because of the years of throwing the other way. How long has it taken some of you before you consistently get the ball back behind the head and feel that scap pinch every time? Now it's something that she still has to consciously think of while throwing. She also doesn't have the sequence completely down yet to give her the maximum separation and resistance that we're looking for. What would you say are the best drills to help with the sequencing?

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
I started using Austin's ebook with my team last year; at least the water bottle and arm behind stuff. I felt that our throwing was getting pretty good as we continued to work the pattern. Last fall, I hired a high end coach from a local gold team, who promptly put them on their knees for wrist flicks and L drills. I bit my tongue, because I felt I needed to let him do his thing while we had him as our coach; after all, he was the great so and so. He has since been fired, and my infielders are all worse than before, with ugly L drill swings. They couldn't throw out a slapper to save their mama. So, we are back to the drawing board, and will get the water bottles out again.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach