Have you Considered a Chiropractor for your DD?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 4, 2010
I put a post in the pitching forum for my DD who was dealing with medial epicondylitis (golfer's elbow) and received information back about finding someone who specializes in ART (Active Release Technique) and/or the Graston Technique. I found a sports chiropractor in the area that does both and have been there for 2 appointments in the past couple weeks. DD was at a college camp the last 2 days and pitched without pain for the first time in 7 or 8 weeks. Last week we planned to cancel as she would hurt trying to throw any of her movement pitches.

She was diagnosed by a sports ortho doctor with this in mid-May and did PT through their office 3 times with no signs of improvement. Shut her pitching down, fielding and hitting only for her weekend showcases and pulled out of one camp. We thought she may be done for the summer as most were saying rest and continued therapy.

I'm sure the other PT sessions and rest contributed, but the sport chiropractor seems to have helped her recover quicker than expected. Also, my wife is in the medical field and thought we were taking our DD to a "voodoo" doctor....I told her that was next week if this didn't work...

Jun 7, 2013
Since my DD started seeing the chiropractor, her form has improved greatly. It seems that these chiro issues were causing her to pitch in an unorthodox manner because of the pain that it caused. Time to setup another appointment!

Jan 19, 2010
You should typically see relief within 2-4 weeks of care (depending on the severity)....often times much sooner. Be wary of any Chiropractor that has a very lengthy plan of care to fix your problem. Some will want to sign you up for a year or more. This will likely benefit them more than you. Someone said earlier about the Gonstead method. There are many Chiropractic techniques and all have their place. Yes, there are some Chiro's that do strange things in their office and I can all but guarantee you that these things are not taught in Chiropractic college. They pick this up at weekend seminars, etc and incorporate them into their practice. Maybe find a Chiro that practices with a PT.

Jun 7, 2013
The fact that my chiropractor can shoot an x-ray and show me bones out of place at the exact spots that are hurting me is quite compelling. Even more so, after a number of treatments where I am doing much better and he shoots another x-ray and shows me the bones moving into alignment makes this for me "science" and not voodoo.

JJS

Jan 9, 2015
I put a post in the pitching forum for my DD who was dealing with medial epicondylitis (golfer's elbow) and received information back about finding someone who specializes in ART (Active Release Technique) and/or the Graston Technique. I found a sports chiropractor in the area that does both and have been there for 2 appointments in the past couple weeks. DD was at a college camp the last 2 days and pitched without pain for the first time in 7 or 8 weeks. Last week we planned to cancel as she would hurt trying to throw any of her movement pitches.

She was diagnosed by a sports ortho doctor with this in mid-May and did PT through their office 3 times with no signs of improvement. Shut her pitching down, fielding and hitting only for her weekend showcases and pulled out of one camp. We thought she may be done for the summer as most were saying rest and continued therapy.

I'm sure the other PT sessions and rest contributed, but the sport chiropractor seems to have helped her recover quicker than expected. Also, my wife is in the medical field and thought we were taking our DD to a "voodoo" doctor....I told her that was next week if this didn't work...

I have seen Chiropractors for different ailments for 25 years. They can range from poor to exceptional, just like any doctor. The best one I've ever seen specialized in ART. No cracking, or popping, and you left the office with pain subsiding within minutes. You could actually feel a sensation of the blood flowing through the area better. Highly recommend.

JJS

Jan 9, 2015
Chiropractic is not medicine - and they are not REALLY doctors. It doesn't mean they can't help people, but educationally they are not even at the level of a P.A. or an R.N.

Please remember that just because a nurse or doctor has a "medical degree" doesn't mean that they have any more knowledge about an injury than a Chiropractor. After all, somewhere out there is a surgeon that got last in their class, but is still cutting people open.

Jun 12, 2015
Please remember that just because a nurse or doctor has a "medical degree" doesn't mean that they have any more knowledge about an injury than a Chiropractor. After all, somewhere out there is a surgeon that got last in their class, but is still cutting people open.

Yes! I saw this once - what do you call the guy who finished last in his class in medical school?

Doctor.

Kind of scary to consider. IME doctors often do more harm than good. I have run up against this personally enough times to be very wary of allopathic medicine. I'm not one of those who thinks you should treat cancer with positive thinking of anything, but western medicine is last resort for me because of the risk involved.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
DD is now a believer and so am I! DD went to the chiro for the first time yesterday. Wonderfully funny guy that took a lot of time with DD and understands the demands of competitive athletes. Found issues that we weren't even aware of from the accident. When we were done with the appointment DD said "Mom, I think that I can fly"! :D

JJS

Jan 9, 2015
DD is now a believer and so am I! DD went to the chiro for the first time yesterday. Wonderfully funny guy that took a lot of time with DD and understands the demands of competitive athletes. Found issues that we weren't even aware of from the accident. When we were done with the appointment DD said "Mom, I think that I can fly"! :D

Sounds like you found one that may be a right fit for your daughter. Good for her!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06