Has your DD every had a bad weekend as a pick up?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

DD picked up for a pretty good team this weekend and stunk it up. Well, she played decent defense, but had a lousy weekend with the bat. Her bunting was on, but she could not have hit the catcher if she stood up in front of her before the pitch got to the plate. Recorded a few of her swings to show her what was going on, but she just did not correct it like she should have. This is a first and I felt bad that I told the coach about what she was capable of and she went out and underwhelmed. Felt like I sold the guy a false bill of goods.

She had fun and it was a great group of girls and parents and they just about got into the top 3, but ran out of gas.

Got a feeling she won't be getting invited back to pick up for them again...:)

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2012
Okay, first of all, when teams pick up a player they are very thankful to have that player with them. Obviously they needed her there so they could play. Secondly, when we have a guest player, we know that it is strange for them to be with a team they don't know, with coaches they may or may not know, etc. It does take some kids a while to adjust and coaches know that. So, I can't be sure whether they will have her back or not, but I am sure they appreciate her playing for them.

Okay, first of all, when teams pick up a player they are very thankful to have that player with them. Obviously they needed her there so they could play. Secondly, when we have a guest player, we know that it is strange for them to be with a team they don't know, with coaches they may or may not know, etc. It does take some kids a while to adjust and coaches know that. So, I can't be sure whether they will have her back or not, but I am sure they appreciate her playing for them.

Thanks for the insight.

Don't over analyze this sort of thing when you get home (just like with regular game); no need for the after game breakdown, especially since nerves could have been a factor. Focus on the positive of how she outwitted the new situation.

That is exactly how I treated this one. We chalked it up to one of those, "stuff happens" kind of situations and we'll hit some tonight to iron out what was ailing her.

It was nice, once we were eliminated, we hopped to another field to just watch some friends play. We usually don't have the luxury to just watch without having to worry about running back to "camp" to warm up for the next game.

The one big thing to come out of this was she got to play the team she left and they got a win. She was happy about that.