Has your daughter ever been on a team...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Most D1 P5 pitchers are "pitch and sit". As you get to the older age groups, 16U and 18U, and play higher level TB, it takes a special player for coaches to be willing to risk an injury to their #1 or #2 pitcher.

Jun 3, 2015
I know of a few teams that do this, but it is rare. DD was offered a spot on an 18u team last year that worked this way. For DD, it was a deal breaker. She likes playing the field and absolutely loves hitting. Personal preference I suppose...

My daughter as well.. She can't stand to sit. If she's not pitching she wants to be at third base.

Nov 29, 2009
When my DD played she only pitched in 16U, 18U, HS and college. She and I never had a problem with that. She played on very high level teams. There were always better hitters on the team. She was a the #1 pitcher and did her job well. She got the most innings and was handed the ball for all the big games. She did what was best for the teams.

In college the coach would use her to send a message to the other players who weren't getting the job done at the plate. She would bat my DD. If that happened the players knew they were on the coaches $hift list. In 4 years of college I think my DD had 8 official at bats. She managed 1 hit and a BB.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
DD's TB coach usually doesn't let his pitchers hit but DD was in lineup all summer. Batted .425 ish. And when possible, he did put in a pinch runner but for all of July, she ran the bases. As a matter of fact, she was so proud that she got her home to home to just over 12 secs (home to first was 2.94). If you knew DD, she couldn't run fast for life of her. She has taken to running more in the gym (along with hardcore elliptical and lateral x training). Anyway, I agree that when they get older, pitchers sit...but I am seeing more and more pitchers that can hit. But DD has been on teams where the pitcher pitched only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2014
If there are better or even as good hitters the pitchers sits. Still see lots of teams where the pitcher is top 4 hitter so coach is not going to sit her...pinch run for every time though.

If the pitcher can't really crush the ball and is an OK middle of the pack hitter most coaches 16U and up would sit them, assuming you have 12 or more kids on the team.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
When my DD played she only pitched in 16U, 18U, HS and college. She and I never had a problem with that. She played on very high level teams. There were always better hitters on the team. She was a the #1 pitcher and did her job well. She got the most innings and was handed the ball for all the big games. She did what was best for the teams.

In college the coach would use her to send a message to the other players who weren't getting the job done at the plate. She would bat my DD. If that happened the players knew they were on the coaches $hift list. In 4 years of college I think my DD had 8 official at bats. She managed 1 hit and a BB.

I hope my DD is a "pitch and sit" in college because that means they are 9 better batters than her! If my DD is hitting it is probably going to be a long season....

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I find it very interesting to see the region by region differences during these discussions. This thread is a good example of that. I will readily admit that the level of softball in my area of the country is not the same as other regions, but don't tell the local parents that. Lol :)

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
None of our 18U pitchers hit in the lineup or play another position. They may occasionally pinch hit in a game where they're not pitching.

Our pitchers do participate in fielding drills and practices. After all, they do have to handle batted balls.

May 17, 2012
At the older ages it takes a really talented player to play other positions when yet are not pitching and catching. You are competing against kids who are playing those positions full time and getting all of the reps.

I suppose on lower level teams and high school teams you can do that.

Just because your daughter can play third base doesn't mean that she is a third baseman. Rose colored glasses and all that.

Having said that if they can hit I will find them a home in the lineup. In reality I need my pitchers and catchers to be rested and ready in bracket play.

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
DD1 has been getting the "pitch and sit" for the last couple of seasons in 16u and it has been driving us batty. Just yesterday she was at a tryout with another team where one of the coaches commented that she looked a little rusty during the hitting portion. He went on to offer her a spot on his team but he was honest in that she would probably hit only in friendlies and maybe pool play. He said the same thing that others have mentioned on here, that he doesn't want to take the risk of one of his pitchers getting injured on a HBP or running the bases. I really appreciate his honesty; it would have saved us a lot of grief had the previous coaches told us this and we could have saved $$$ on hitting lessons.

DD2 is being seen as more of a hitter that can somewhat pitch, so she's getting a lot of field time and is in the meat of the lineup, but only gets a couple of innings to pitch here and there. This is her 1st year of 12u and her first long-term committment to a travel team, so we'll see how she progresses. I don't think she's ready to give up on pitching just yet, but she's aware that she may be a more talented hitter than pitcher.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06