Harvey Update

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Orange and Mak-

Please send out an update on your status when you can. The last post from either of you in this thread was 8-28 and things got much worse after that. Prayers sent to you and all the Houstonians on the board. Please drop a "were A-OK" when you can.

S3

Okay here - in the past we talked about selling and moving - DH says nope - this house didn't flood - we staying. LOL! Sad to say that south part of our neighborhood did flood and needed rescuing by boat - it's amazing to see the flooding 5 min from our house. The fields that OrangeSocks posted pic of is also less than 5-10 min from our house (DD spent many many hours practicing there) - here is another picture where you cannot even see the fence - it got pretty bad. Restaurants next to this park were flooded (pictures on phone - will add later). Anyway, we are good - just going to be major recovery for most of Houston and surrounding areas. My parents are going home to Rockport Sunday to start their recovery process too.

SKGSL_CollinsParkField1.JPG

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Okay here - in the past we talked about selling and moving - DH says nope - this house didn't flood - we staying. LOL! Sad to say that south part of our neighborhood did flood and needed rescuing by boat - it's amazing to see the flooding 5 min from our house. The fields that OrangeSocks posted pic of is also less than 5-10 min from our house (DD spent many many hours practicing there) - here is another picture where you cannot even see the fence - it got pretty bad. Restaurants next to this park were flooded (pictures on phone - will add later). Anyway, we are good - just going to be major recovery for most of Houston and surrounding areas. My parents are going home to Rockport Sunday to start their recovery process too.

View attachment 12183

Pictures of popular restaurant softball families went to while playing at Collins park.

12e8cf463cfc0d0a3fea4d0c507ad5e8.jpg

d0aaa0550b0929ead574478d5a439525.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
We are still dry and trying to do a little work from the house this morning. My company is an industrial distribution company that relies on UPS and Fedex to deliver. That ain't happening! As for my wife's Aunt and Uncle, not so good. They lost both cars. We went to their neighborhood yesterday which backs up to the Buffalo Bayou to see if we can get in to salvage anything as they will most likely be under water for 2-4 weeks. Now there's chest deep water down stairs. Thank God an airboat angel showed up at the best time and we hoped aboard. Captain Barry and Enrique helped us gather what we could from inside the house which basically filled up the boat. They were very patient and kind to us. There is nothing like going into a flooded house with all of the furniture eerily floating around. You have to push the furniture out of the way as you make your way around to gather items, but for some reason the furniture floats back to where it started. DD's coach and I talked yesterday and it sounds like he wants to try to have practice. He wants me to check the status of the fields. Maybe I can drag them??? Big issue is finding a safe unflooded route to the field for all of the players. The weirdest thing happened yesterday evening. My DD decided to take the dog and go for a run. Huh...ok whatever. Good for her.

Many of us that are "fine" are starting to experience feelings of survivor's guilt. So we are all trying to find ways that we help in our own way.

I have seen the word "flood" so many times this week that I started wondering why the word doesn't sound like it is spelled. Flud vs Flewed? Put that in your gee whiz bag folks!

Nov 25, 2012
USA
We are still dry and trying to do a little work from the house this morning. My company is an industrial distribution company that relies on UPS and Fedex to deliver. That ain't happening! As for my wife's Aunt and Uncle, not so good. They lost both cars. We went to their neighborhood yesterday which backs up to the Buffalo Bayou to see if we can get in to salvage anything as they will most likely be under water for 2-4 weeks. Now there's chest deep water down stairs. Thank God an airboat angel showed up at the best time and we hoped aboard. Captain Barry and Enrique helped us gather what we could from inside the house which basically filled up the boat. They were very patient and kind to us. There is nothing like going into a flooded house with all of the furniture eerily floating around. You have to push the furniture out of the way as you make your way around to gather items, but for some reason the furniture floats back to where it started. DD's coach and I talked yesterday and it sounds like he wants to try to have practice. He wants me to check the status of the fields. Maybe I can drag them??? Big issue is finding a safe unflooded route to the field for all of the players. The weirdest thing happened yesterday evening. My DD decided to take the dog and go for a run. Huh...ok whatever. Good for her.

Many of us that are "fine" are starting to experience feelings of survivor's guilt. So we are all trying to find ways that we help in our own way.

I have seen the word "flood" so many times this week that I started wondering why the word doesn't sound like it is spelled. Flud vs Flewed? Put that in your gee whiz bag folks!

Keep hanging in there Orange and glad to hear your home is ok. Very sorry to hear about your wife's Aunt and Uncle's situation with the cars and home. Stay strong and I hope the recovery for everyone in the path goes better than expected although the road ahead will be tough.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI

Flood vs. food, soot vs. hoot. OO can be goofy at times.

Interesting to see how people are coping. Everyone deals with these things in different ways. There is no single right way, and the only wrong ways are those that are destructive.

I have a weird work situation. My company is in San Francisco. I work most of the time remotely from Wisconsin, but spend about 20% of my time on site. The big boss commutes to work from Houston (long commute). He has family and friends there, and can probably afford a better house. His house is fine, but he has three families staying with him.

Best to you and your family, and everyone affected by the flood.

Feb 14, 2014
I finally have wifi again. I live in Orange County which received 42-52" of rain from Harvey (depending on the location.) I'm extremely fortunate that my house didn't flood. The house across the street did. Until now when I've mowed, I've always cursed the pad that my foundation sits on. Never again! The water got up to the pad in my front yard.

The town I teach in received 52". Many parts are still underwater and don't have power. 90% of the houses there flooded. I'm devastated for my students.

On the softball front, dd11's catching/hitting instructor texted about resuming lessons. I'm all for her getting back into a normal routine, so she starts back up tomorrow. No word from her TB team about beginning practice. We were supposed to play at Ford Park in a couple of weeks. I don't think that tournament is going to happen as scheduled.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad