Harvey Update

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
I have read about the wonderful way Texans have responded to this, such as the "Cajun Navy" of volunteer boaters going out rescuing people. Truly inspiring.

A bit of a warning. You will see and hear and read about things that will make you proud, and others that will shock you. One time the house of one of DD 3's teammates was hit by a tornado. The girl's mother said that brought out the best, and the worst, in people. Even in Madison, they had to guard the house against scavenger and looters. At one point one of the girl's uniforms was missing, so the entire team wore the uniform she DID have until she could find the other one in all the mess.

As far as outside support, I gather J.J. Watt tried to raise $200,000, and within a few hours he was WAY over that.

Stay safe, you and your family and your pets (if any), please.

Oh yes, we have already had reports of looters - driving around filling up the beds of their trucks with stuff exposed from the hurricane. Unbelievable greed.

And Watt's fundraiser is already almost 3/4 of a million now...amazing - love that he uses his status to raise money frequently for good causes.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
We are still high and dry, but the devastation is heartbreaking. My wife's aunt and uncle's home has 8 inches of water in it while their next door neighbor only has water in the front yard. It hasn't stopped raining for the past 6 hours, but my street drains quickly. Most of the help is neighbors helping neighbors. The Cajun Navy from Louisiana, and folks with boats from near and wide are doing 95% of the rescues. WarriorMike we could use you and your kayak!!!

Feb 14, 2014
We're in Orange County. I don't have water in my house, but some of my friends do. Harvey is supposed to make landfall again as a tropical storm, so we will see more rain and wind over the next couple of days. All county schools have delayed until Tuesday.

I've seen a couple of Facebook posts about people around the country taking up collections of softball equipment. If you can contribute anything, please know that it means a lot to kids to have any kind of normalcy after an event such as this. When Hurricane Ike hit us in '08, our local youth football leagues resumed play a few weeks afterward. Some of those boys had lost everything but the clothes on their backs. It meant so much to them to be able to still play a sport they loved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Oh yes, we have already had reports of looters - driving around filling up the beds of their trucks with stuff exposed from the hurricane. Unbelievable greed.

And Watt's fundraiser is already almost 3/4 of a million now...amazing - love that he uses his status to raise money frequently for good causes.

Lot of company's are stepping up and not getting enough credit.

You want boats, bass pro shop gave them 80 boats. You want more boats, sure they will provide them.

Still annoyed that Anheuser bush stopped making beer to bottle water to send to Texas, heck send the beer.

Oct 19, 2009
My coworker's mother lives in Baytown, TX where they have received over 25 plus inches of rain. She is in her later 80's, she went to stay with one of her other sons during the storm. The are they were located is flooding so last evening they were rescued by boat and transported by dump truck to a shelter which was over flowing. They discovered her house was not flooded yet and is not expected to flood, so they mover her and her son's family back to the mother's house by a fire truck. Glad the family is safe, but I hate to hear of all the troubles this storm is causing my coworker's mother and the other people from Texas.

Feb 14, 2014
I-10 is closed between Winnie and Beaumont. If you've ever played at Ford Park, here's a picture of the arena side.

699f769edf547e7e5c8a2b95cb718fd7.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feb 27, 2017
Houston has always been known for flooding, same as New Orleans. Natural Disasters are going to happen. I don't think there is anything politicians can do, that will stop Hurricanes or rain from happening. If you have a plan, maybe the softball community will listen. Glad you are OK OrangeSocks...PRAYERS!!!! and I'm sure you guys will be back on the diamond soon!!!

Nov 25, 2012
USA
Orange and Mak-

Please send out an update on your status when you can. The last post from either of you in this thread was 8-28 and things got much worse after that. Prayers sent to you and all the Houstonians on the board. Please drop a "were A-OK" when you can.

S3

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414