Happy to be here!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 15, 2020
Hey all! I'm a new member. Currently coach 10U Rec in Niwot, Colorado. I've been coaching for a few years (was a player myself in high school and college). I came across this page while looking for some guidance on how to help my girls catch the ball (try as I may, I can't seem to get them to break some really bad habits) and was just drawn into so many helpful and interesting discussions on this board, so thanks for that! Looking forward to learning some great tips from you all! Hope you're all having a great season (if you're allowed to play)!

JOHNN

Just a dad of 3 girls
Aug 5, 2019
South Louisiana
Glad to have you here.

I just went through this last season with my now 8yo so I know the frustration (and sometimes agony) you are going through haha. Have you tried the velcro ball and mitts yet? I went from those to 11' whiffle balls, to tennis balls, then a softball. It was a long process but its been rewarding to see the progress over time.

Jul 15, 2020
Glad to have you here.

I just went through this last season with my now 8yo so I know the frustration (and sometimes agony) you are going through haha. Have you tried the velcro ball and mitts yet? I went from those to 11' whiffle balls, to tennis balls, then a softball. It was a long process but its been rewarding to see the progress over time.
Oh I've done it all! My biggest problem is that every year I get new players who have never touched a bat, ball, or glove before, so rather than being able to build with my "veterans," I wind up having to start all over again with the most basic skills. And honestly, at this level of rec (we're 10U, but most of my team could easily be on 12U -- their birthdays being after Jan 1 allows for them to stay down), the older they are when they start playing, the harder it is. But your point is well taken and I probably should go back and break out the velcro paddles again (but to be truthful, I've gotten to the point that I have two, three if I'm being generous, who can consistently catch properly and they're the only ones I let play first base. The rest I'll continue to work with, but Lord it's frustrating!). Thanks for the reminder suggestion!

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Welcome! Keep working those FUNdamentals! My DD's are both helping with the HS team (they graduated this past Spring) and have been coming home talking about how few of the incoming Freshmen can catch and throw. Not sure it's all bad habits or they just have never been taught proper technique but keep coaching them early!

Jul 15, 2020
Welcome! Keep working those FUNdamentals! My DD's are both helping with the HS team (they graduated this past Spring) and have been coming home talking about how few of the incoming Freshmen can catch and throw. Not sure it's all bad habits or they just have never been taught proper technique but keep coaching them early!
It's such an important skill -- I will absolutely keep on it! Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32