Hanging Mat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
Hi, I'd like to get a hanging rubber mat to hang in our garage for my daughters to pitch and hit into, but was hoping not to spend too much. Some have recommended hanging a carpet remnant. The objective here is for the balls to stop and drop with no rebound back to us. Has anyone used carpeting or any other material that is just effective as the rubber matting you see in and around batting cages? Just searching for some ideas. Thanks and happy new year.

May 12, 2008
I've used those blue or silver tarps you can pick up at Walmart or the hardware store. They absorb the energy and let the ball just drop. Make a very satisfying loud sound when the ball hits too. You do need several feet behind the tarp since it absorbs energy by moving with the ball.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
For a hanging heavy rubber mat, try a ranch supply outlet. You might even call a horse ranch to see if they have one they will sell you.

For a carpet remnant go to home depot or lowes; they have remnants that you can purchase for very little money.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
I got an old trapoline I got for very little money. All I wanted was the mat. It already has the hooks, so I have it hanging as a back stop. Works great.l

Sep 17, 2009
These are good ideas, tks. What do you guys do about the balls dropping? Do you have some method of collecting them/keeping them from scattering? Again, just looking for some ideas. I'm hitting into a net in the garage now but I think it would be cool to hit into a tarp to see ball direction better

Jul 3, 2009
I use a large leftover piece of carpeting in my shop for my daughter. Works great and the ball stops dead and drops to the floor. She just pitches her bucket and then picks them up and goes again. I just sit on my roller seat and watch her go :)

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
These are good ideas, tks. What do you guys do about the balls dropping? Do you have some method of collecting them/keeping them from scattering? Again, just looking for some ideas. I'm hitting into a net in the garage now but I think it would be cool to hit into a tarp to see ball direction better

Funny you would ask this. I am trying to put something together like a heavy carpet that when balls hit they drop straight down into plastic or metal tray about a foot off the ground. the tray will guide the balls to a 1/2 pvc pipe that is sloped and will bring the balls back to the pitcher.

Sep 17, 2009
Mousetrap!
mouse-trap.jpg

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06