Had an interesting one yesterday

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
Situation: R1 on 3rd, R2 on 2nd. Batter hits a shot up middle left. R2 runs into the batted ball. BU kills the play, calls R2 out, returns R1 to 3rd and gives batter 1st.

I'm coaching 1st and ask our 3rd base coach if the ball was passed the SS. He calls time and asks BU. BU wasn't sure of the rule and confers with PU. I've got parents asking me why he's questioning the call, because R2 was clearly out when hit by the batted ball while off base. I explain that if it's by a fielder, other than pitcher, and not other fielder could have made a play, it should have been a live ball and play should have continued. I also told them we didn't have a chance in hell to get the call reversed, but it was worth a shot. After about a minute, they call R2 back and put her on 3rd. R1 is awarded home and batter is on 1st.

They got the call correct, but I really didn't think they would reverse it. I then had to explain to several of our parents the rule after the game. It helps to know the rulebook. We went on to score 4 more runs that inning.

ConorMacleod

Practice Like You Play
Jul 30, 2012
Good for you! But, better for the Umpire to reverse his initial decision and get the call correct! That's kind of what it's all about, right?

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I'm coaching 1st and ask our 3rd base coach if the ball was passed the SS.

Did you mean the ball physically by the shortstop or beyond the area where you believe the SS had a play? No argument on the call, if it was past the SS, then they got it correct. But there are some people, and I'm not saying this is the case, that believe that if the ball is in an area where there isn't an obvious play by the SS it is the same as passing the fielder.

Then again, I've never understood how a runner can get hit by an untouched batter ball off the base

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
The runner was further away from home plate than the SS when the ball hit her. As for how she allowed it to hit her, I concur with your statement. She was guest playing for us, so I'll cut her some slack.

I was just a bit surprised that they did change the call.

Mar 15, 2014
Did you mean the ball physically by the shortstop or beyond the area where you believe the SS had a play? No argument on the call, if it was past the SS, then they got it correct. But there are some people, and I'm not saying this is the case, that believe that if the ball is in an area where there isn't an obvious play by the SS it is the same as passing the fielder.

Then again, I've never understood how a runner can get hit by an untouched batter ball off the base
One of my players got hit by a batted ground ball just this past Sunday.
Head coach called a hit and run and she ran--but did not look.
The second baseman was well behind the runner so as soon as she was hit I came off 3rd and headed for the dugout.
The BU ( same game/umpire as the one who blew the obstruction call) chuckled and said to me that he was glad that I did not argue that call.
First time it has happened to one of my girls in 9 years of coaching--but it happens.

I was just a bit surprised that they did change the call.

Many umpires do both baseball ( High School and regular O.B.R) as well as softball.
In O.B.R. baseball the runner would have been out unless the ball went by or through a fielder --I.E. meaning through his legs or under his glove. ( as per the Major League Baseball's Umpire Manual--M.L.B.U.M.)
In HS baseball as well as most softball ( Little League would be the exception) if the infield is in and no other infielder has a chance for a play then the runner is not out.
Hate to bring up baseball in a softball forum, but hopefully it will clear up some confusion as to why umpires may misapply a rule.
Then again, sometimes I wonder why all codes/leagues cannot adopt just one rule set and make life simple for all.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdwingnut