Guest Playing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2012
DD's spring team ended early and fall season doesn't start until end of July/beg of Aug. DD wants to get more pitching time during games. Have any of you had your pitchers guest play for another org/team during their team's break to get more pitching time or just take the time off? If guest play, how did you go about that? I do not have connections with another org/team. DD is not looking to leave her team so don't want to upset current coach either (not sure he would be but you never know).

Apr 13, 2013
I am not speaking from experience but either ask the person in charge of your club or go to a tourney and talk to the parents.

I would ask your HC first, not for permission, but if they know of any Teams so they know what you are trying to do.

They are going to find out, it is a small world, so go through your club first.

Time off would be my choice but I can understand someone wanting to play.

Jun 18, 2010
If you are wanting to guest play, try to find a local or regional softball or sports website where teams looking for players will post their need. Make sure you communicate with the coach so that expectations from both sides are met. Do not be afraid to ask how many games or innings playing time you will see pitching, fielding, and at bat.

From our experience:

1st-Speak to your current coach and let him know DD is wanting to continue pitching as a guest for other teams and does he have a problem with that. You daughter will not miss any practices or team obligations while guest playing.

2nd-Have your daughter network herself! Have her speak to coaches that she would like to play for and to let them know she is available for pickup games or just pitching to them at their practice.

3rd-Not all parents on the other team will be happy to have you. Just be friendly and cheer for the girls no matter what the outcome may be.

4th-Make sure your daughter says "thank you to the coaches and players for letting her join them for the weekend" manners sure do go along way!

5th-Make sure she does have a fun summer where she can just be a kid and go swimming and sleep in. Let her re-charge her batteries for the fall season. She will thank you later:)

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Make sure you communicate with the coach so that expectations from both sides are met. Do not be afraid to ask how many games or innings playing time you will see pitching, fielding, and at bat.

Don't take anything for granted...we got a frantic call at 10:00 PM on Saturday from a coach begging DD#3 to come play on Sunday. As a favor to the other coach, we drove to this tournament somewhere the other side of Dogpatch, Iowa. My DD#3 got to play 2 innings and bat once after sitting through 2 games. That was the last time I didn't discuss specifics before agreeing to let her play.

Jun 18, 2010
Don't take anything for granted...we got a frantic call at 10:00 PM on Saturday from a coach begging DD#3 to come play on Sunday. As a favor to the other coach, we drove to this tournament somewhere the other side of Dogpatch, Iowa. My DD#3 got to play 2 innings and bat once after sitting through 2 games. That was the last time I didn't discuss specifics before agreeing to let her play.

Sluggers, a similar situation happened with us. DD was in eighth grade last fall, and her teammates were playing HS ball. DD wanted to play so we looked online and found a team "needing" a pitcher for a tournament about 100 miles away. Unknown to us, this coach had brought on two other guest pitchers so, including the pitcher from his team, there were four pitchers to share circle time. Of the five games played, his pitcher threw three, and the three guest pitchers shared two time limited games. DD saw about 3 innings of play all weekend. What a waste of time that was. We'll never guest for the coach again.... There are some coaches who treat guest players like one of the team, others you are the red-headed step child.... make sure you know your role and how much playing time you will see before you commit.

Oct 22, 2009
MY DD played every chance we could get. We also picked up a lot guest pitchers when we played, some came on to continue to play with us, others just picked up when they could.
We had a lot of fun playing for different teams and meeting other pitchers.

You can go to e-teamz they usually have posts of teams looking for players. Talk to local coaches at tournaments.
Do your best to make it an enjoyable experience, don't do it if it isn't fun your DD.

Nov 3, 2012
My DD has pitched as a guest player for a team that was short on pitching and their #1 pitcher got hurt. Its been a win win situation fom my DD and the team. We got invited back to the next tournament, and will pitch for two more tournaments this year. The girls on the team have treated her well and she has a new set of friends about 80 miles away. Ironically, my DD has gotten more innings with the guest team than her regular team this seaon, as we have too many pitchers (5) and our coach is sharing the innings with them all. This has been a motivating factor for her to keep practicing and has been a huge boost for her confidence. We made contact through an online board.

Apr 11, 2012
Thank you for all the tips. Thinking I'm going to have her work on mechanics and pitching from 43 feet before start of summer/fall season.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
DD's spring team ended early and fall season doesn't start until end of July/beg of Aug. DD wants to get more pitching time during games. Have any of you had your pitchers guest play for another org/team during their team's break to get more pitching time or just take the time off? If guest play, how did you go about that? I do not have connections with another org/team. DD is not looking to leave her team so don't want to upset current coach either (not sure he would be but you never know).

I wouldnt say a thing to her current. She has a commitment to that team, that is all that is required.
The teams season is over.

If she has the chance to pitch for another team, go for it, it will only make her better.

If the current coach calls you and asks whats up, tell him she wants more experience so she can be a better pitcher for his team. If he has a problem with that, then he doesnt have much of a commitment to her.
Commitments work both ways.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1