Guess I'm still learning. :)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Got a question that I will figure out tomorrow, I guess, but thought I'd share and see if anyone had some answers before then.

A girl who we picked up a few times over the years verbal to a D2. Word on the street is she is signing NLI tomorrow. ( which is out of the early dates ) So my main man tells me she can sign at anytime after the early dates, but it won't become official until the April dates in 2013. Is this correct?

I have to plead ignorant, I've never heard of nor delt with signings outside the NCAA dates.

Edit: a link explaining would be even more helpful if you know of one.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2012
NorCal
My DD was given the dates of Nov 14 thru Nov 21. If she did not get it in by then it was invalid. I'm not sure if they would have rewritten the contract or she would have had to wait for the spring signing. Not all D2 are in the NCAA NLI program with the strict guidelines. Not to say she won't sign a contract but just not the NCAA NLI.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
It's pretty confusing, plus her father is one of those "snakes in the grass". You can't trust him anymore than you can throw him.

I know you have 14 days from receiving the letter to sign, so if she got it on Nov 21, tomorrow would be the 14th day. ( hold on gotta put my shoe back on from counting )

One guy thought she might be walking on, but I told him walk ins don't sign NLI.

Another friend wondered if she is signing a "code of conduct".

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I know nothing about this so I will chip in.

"Must be signed within 14 days of issue date. (14 day deadline does not apply during the November signing or when 14 days are not left in the signing period)"

so I do not think the 14 applies to her.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Ok, I got the REAL scoop now.

After hours of debating WTH was going on with all the crazy dads, NCAA regs, previous experience. One dad was smart enought to do the most simple thing, go look at the college website. :)

And there is was in black and white, she and 7 others had "officially" signed on the 21st ( last day of early signing ).

So now we assume this "signing" tomorrow at the HS is all for show. Guess its a way to celebrate, eat cake and ice cream, and get out of class for an hour. GO GIRLS!!

Yea, guess I'm still learning...................learning these teenagers will find any way they can to cut class. :)

Oct 14, 2008
Division 1 and 2 sends you 2 copies of the NLI. One you sign and send back. (My dd,s was faxed back) The other is used at the signing ceremony. Ours was done after school, They are actually signing an NLI but it is the copy not the original.

The signing ceremony is just a celebration to honor what the individual athlete has achieved and for the family of said athlete. Once its all said and done its pretty anti climatic.

Tim

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Thanks Tim.

Yea, all the other girls signed during school hours........during the signing dates.

Now that all the facts are in on the situation, it fits the family perfect. They are not "team" players and have the thickest rose glasses available. So there is no doubt they wanted their own "glory time" a few weeks later than to share the "celebration" with all the other girls ( signees ).

Funny thing is he was REALLY implying the NCAA was bending the rules for his DD, probably because she was such a phenomenal player :rolleyes:. That's where all the confusion sat in. But hey, it will give us something to remember and we can talk about the lunatic the rest of the softball season. And the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Prayers will be needed for the college coach. :)

Oct 14, 2008
The weird thing is, the NCAA isnt for or against HS signings. I have no idea where he was coming from but the NCAA bends no rules for anyone as far as that party goes. I know that at D3 the college coach may attend the signings. D1and 2 are not allowed to be anywhere close to it over fear of pressure being put on the signee by the coach.

Some parents are just tools. I hope for his sake she is a drop dead stud and her college,s big recruit because if not he is going to get a serious wake up call about playing time and so forth. Its a different world. I really diddnt know what to expect when mine went but the reality of what happens once they are property of the school is a totally different animal compared to how they are treated in HS

Aug 12, 2012
NorCal
Division 1 and 2 sends you 2 copies of the NLI. One you sign and send back. (My dd,s was faxed back) The other is used at the signing ceremony. Ours was done after school, They are actually signing an NLI but it is the copy not the original.

The signing ceremony is just a celebration to honor what the individual athlete has achieved and for the family of said athlete. Once its all said and done its pretty anti climatic.

Tim

Yep, anti climatic, my DD signed her official NLI at our kitchen table during breakfast so I could fax it from work.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish