Guess I'll start an off-topic thread?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
My father has sold power transmission equipment for 60+ years. He sells gears, chains, sprockets, conveyor belts, motors, bearings, etc. In his business, a motor is always defined as electrical, as in electric motor. An engine is always described as running on fuel, as in the internal combustion engine.

Most people use the term interchangeably now, but I suspect it still sticks in that Tesla calls their cars "Dual Motor."
We have certain trails that are assigned no motorized vehicles. It includes no electric vehicle no electric bikes skateboards or scooters.
Understand the interchangeability now

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Interesting electric not considered motored vehicle.

What about electric quad?

There are different classifications of e-bikes, and access restrictions for some or all of them may be applicable in some areas. Some are bicycles that you still have to pedal, but have various levels of electric motor assistance. There are at the lowest end of the scale, and are sometimes hard to discern from non-e-bikes (by the average person). At the other end, some are electric motor only, and don't have pedals. On National Forest lands in my area, technically, none of them are allowed, but there is also a significant lack of enforcement and lack of signage. It's not uncommon for me to see e-assisted bikes on the roads and trails where I ride my MTB.

Personally, all my bicycles are 100% human-powered, and I generally have a low opinion of e-bike riders. That said, there are some instances where an e-bike makes sense.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Can remember when two stroke Motors became illegal in ohv area's and fire arresters were needed on tailpipe.

Now our life is in our own hands on a public sidewalk with electric things zooming by.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Here's the skinny on Ebikes in CO.

Rules for Electric Bicycles​

Here’s what you should know about using electrical-assisted bicycles or “e-bikes”on lands managed by Colorado Parks and Wildlife (CPW).

What’s considered an e-bike?​

An e-bike is a vehicle with:​

• two or three wheels
  • fully operable pedals
  • an electric motor not exceeding 750 watts of power

All e-bikes must meet the conditions for 1 of the 3 designated e-bike classes:​

Class 1 E-bike

Equipped with a motor that provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling and that ceases to provide assistance when the bicycle reaches a speed of 20 miles per hour.

Class 2 E-bike

Equipped with a motor that provides assistance regardless of whether the rider is pedaling but ceases to provide assistance when the bicycle reaches a speed of 20 miles per hour.

Class 3 E-bike

Equipped with a motor that provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling and that ceases to provide assistance when the bicycle reaches a speed of 28 miles per hour.

Do I need to register my e-bike with CPW?​

CPW does not consider e-bikes Off Highway Vehicles (OHVs) and e-bikes do not require an OHV registration or other permit for use on CPW managed public lands.

Where can I ride my e-bike?​

E-bike use on CPW Lands​

Class 1 and 2 e-bikes are allowed the same access as road bikes and mountain bikes, while class 3 e-bikes are only to be allowed on roadways and in designated bike lanes.

E-bike use on State Park Lands​

• Class 1 and 2 e-bikes are allowed on roadways and designated bike lanes and on multi-use trails and other areas (e.g.,campgrounds) that are open to non-motorized biking.
  • Class 3 e-bikes are only allowed on designated roadways and designated bike lanes.

E-bike use on State Wildlife Areas​

• In State Wildlife Areas, e-bikes are allowed on designated roads and within designated camping or parking areas where motorized vehicles are allowed.
  • They are prohibited in all other areas.
  • Visitors to State Wildlife Areas are required to possess a proper and valid hunting or fishing license.
  • SWA/STL Access FAQ

E-bike use on State Trust Lands​

Public access on State Trust Lands is restricted to hunting, fishing and watchable wildlife activity. E-bikes are only allowed for use on designated roads when being used for these activities. Visitors to State Trust Lands are required to possess a proper and valid hunting or fishing license.

E-bike use on other Public Lands​

Regulations and classifications vary between different land management agencies. Users should contact individual land agencies - including the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) and United States Forest Service (USFS), counties, and local municipalities - to determine where they are permitted to ride e-bikes on public lands.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Eric, did you buy yourself one of those electric mountain bikes?

Nope. It's not even a consideration.

Have you ridden any of the newer E Mtn bikes? They are a blast to ride! You can ride farther, longer, faster (overall) and the extra weight, while not insignificant is really coming down with battery technology. I don't have one but one of my buddies works at a local bike shop and he has had several over the last few years and I've ridden them a bit. My main whip is a Yeti SB 95 which is a great bike but man in a few years having that extra E boost available on demand? Heck yes.

I refuse. Getting to where I'm going under my own power is the point of riding a bicycle (IMO). I'm 54 years old, and significantly more adverse to crashing than I used to be when I was an active racer many years ago. I don't need to go faster. Faster means crashing harder when you make a mistake. Personally, my MTB weapon of choice is a lightweight hardtail partly because it doesn't encourage me to blast through rough terrain as quickly. My preference is to work on improving the human motor, rather than be e-assisted.

A big part of my opinion about e-bikes is related to seeing too many newbie riders getting in over their head because the e-bike allowed them to get places they wouldn't have ridden under their own power. A lack of experience and skills can get you into trouble. Poor riding skills also damages trails. These are generalizations. There are some instances where an e-bike makes sense, including for my friend who works bike patrol at Showshoe Resort in WV. Being able to get to places on the mountain a little more efficiently can be an important factor for him.

The Yeti SB-95 is a sweet bike! My friend that I rode with on Monday rides a Yeti (not sure which model, 100mm travel).

radness

Dec 13, 2019

I refuse. Getting to where I'm going under my own power is the point of riding a bicycle (IMO). I'm 54 years old, and significantly more adverse to crashing than I used to be when I was an active racer many years ago. I don't need to go faster. Faster means crashing harder when you make a mistake. Personally, my MTB weapon of choice is a lightweight hardtail partly because it doesn't encourage me to blast through rough terrain as quickly. My preference is to work on improving the human motor, rather than be e-assisted.

A big part of my opinion about e-bikes is related to seeing too many newbie riders getting in over their head because the e-bike allowed them to get places they wouldn't have ridden under their own power. A lack of experience and skills can get you into trouble. Poor riding skills also damages trails. These are generalizations. There are some instances where an e-bike makes sense, including for my friend who works bike patrol at Showshoe Resort in WV. Being able to get to places on the mountain a little more efficiently can be an important factor for him.

The Yeti SB-95 is a sweet bike! My friend that I rode with on Monday rides a Yeti (not sure which model, 100mm travel).
My brother was very much a pedal only bicycle person. Then he recognized in his mid-60s that being able to go on longer trails that were more arduous having some pedal assist created more of a journey for him. With that he does gauge the terrain he's going to be tackling.. and has told me about sections of trails where he walked his bike while he watched others pound through it.

While off-roading 4x4
The amount of people I have helped take down the Santa Ana mountain range who were on pedal bikes became out of their abilities with speed, cliffs and terrain had nothing to do with electric. Seemed each time I went off-roading there somebody needed help.
It was because of how their brains were wired not their bike.

Being sensible with either is important!

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina

Wow, was hoping you knew I was joking! 🙄

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My brother was very much a pedal only bicycle person. Then he recognized in his mid-60s that being able to go on longer trails that were more arduous having some pedal assist created more of a journey for him. With that he does gauge the terrain he's going to be tackling.. and has told me about sections of trails where he walked his bike while he watched others pound through it.

While off-roading 4x4
The amount of people I have helped take down the Santa Ana mountain range who were on pedal bikes became out of their abilities with speed, cliffs and terrain had nothing to do with electric. Seemed each time I went off-roading there somebody needed help.
It was because of how their brains were wired not their bike.

Being sensible with either is important!

I would never argue that being 100% human-powered makes you immune to being stupid. There are a lot of young men who ride MTBs. Being young and male often includes a poor sense of judgement. That said, my observations regarding e-bikes is that the assistance has ramped up the poor judgement factor a bit.

Yes. I'm a grumpy old man regarding bicycles. Harumph.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez