Guess I'll start an off-topic thread?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010

Wake up.

Wander off bus.

Wander on to a stage half asleep in some new town.

Pick up a guitar.

Rip off the greatest licks any man alive has ever played.

Repeat the next day.

Oct 12, 2020
That cat could play. And was a very sharp dresser lol!
As someone who has tried to play guitar for a couple decades now, one of the things that impresses me most about him (apart from how a single phrase of his could last four bars and never stop saying something) was his finger strength. Players today cop his sound with hot pickups that give a fat tone. He used weak pickups and telephone wire gauged strings to create his big sound. Just playing chords or simple runs, those strings are uncomfortable, but when your style is predicated on huge bends that increase the tension to truly punishing levels, playing the way he did for hours at a time is amazing.

Dec 11, 2010
As someone who has tried to play guitar for a couple decades now, one of the things that impresses me most about him (apart from how a single phrase of his could last four bars and never stop saying something) was his finger strength. Players today cop his sound with hot pickups that give a fat tone. He used weak pickups and telephone wire gauged strings to create his big sound. Just playing chords or simple runs, those strings are uncomfortable, but when your style is predicated on huge bends that increase the tension to truly punishing levels, playing the way he did for hours at a time is amazing.
I know almost nothing about playing. I do always wonder why his playing sounds so “big” like you say. It really is something to hear.

I’m glad that there is so much video of him. That really helps the listener understand that those weren’t studio tricks. It was one guy and a band that knew what they were there for- to let him soar!

I have a lot of SRV on my phone. I gotta be honest- sometimes he wears me out. It draws me in so much and I’m not always wanting to put that much effort into listening.

Oct 12, 2020
I know almost nothing about playing. I do always wonder why his playing sounds so “big” like you say. It really is something to hear.

I’m glad that there is so much video of him. That really helps the listener understand that those weren’t studio tricks. It was one guy and a band that knew what they were there for- to let him soar!

I have a lot of SRV on my phone. I gotta be honest- sometimes he wears me out. It draws me in so much and I’m not always wanting to put that much effort into listening.
For sure. I think that's true for almost all virtuosos, regardless of their stamp. They require you to rise to their level rather than offering to drop to yours. I definitely have to be in the mood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi