Grabbing player's mask, ok or not?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
While I may or may not agree that someone is being over sensitive, I have seen high school football coaches fired for doing the same thing to their male players.

If the coach plans on coaching school ball, ever, don't do it.

-W

I actually just did this last week. I was coaching third it was one of those plays where the other team is throwing the ball around I was down the line maybe half way between third and home I see they have just about got the ball under control as my runner is rounding third I put my hand up yell stop the runner stops and it looks like she is going back to third, opposing team looks like they have the ball under control finally then my runner sprints home and is gunned down at the plate. As my runner sulks back to the dugout I step in front of her she stops, I can see she does not want to look at me with my index finger I loop around the face guard and direct it so she it looking straight at me and whisper (I coach speech as well and have found that whispering can work better than yelling sometimes) "never run through my stop sign again."

I would never jerk or pull on it but I also have on occasion put my hand on top of the helmet so I can make sure I have their attention, I also always speak in a very low quiet voice especially since they are that close there is no need to yell just let them know what they have done wrong.

Jan 10, 2013
Overly sensitive.

When I read the title, I thought it was going to be a horror story. Even after the 1 in 10 catch, the firm grip, and the stern chat, I don't see a reason for concern.

If you are still concerned, talk to the player involved and get her thoughts...hers are surely worth more than ours.

Jan 10, 2013
W\\I have seen high school football coaches fired for doing the same thing to their male players.

If the coach plans on coaching school ball, ever, don't do it.

-W

I wouldn't be so sure you can compare the two without seeing each for yourself...but that's just my opinion.

Feb 3, 2011
Overly sensitive.

When I read the title, I thought it was going to be a horror story. Even after the 1 in 10 catch, the firm grip, and the stern chat, I don't see a reason for concern.

If you are still concerned, talk to the player involved and get her thoughts...hers are surely worth more than ours.

I'm sure the player's a big girl and can handle her coach just fine. I am, however, interested in how certain actions by coaches are perceived by other coaches (and parents). I tried to provide briefly as much context as I could as opposed to simply asking whether it's ever ok to grab a player's mask.

As a coach, I am fine with learning from the mistakes of others and I'm also fine with critiquing what I see in others, just as I am fine with having my own on-field behaviors and techniques critiqued.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina

Are you really suggesting that he approach this girl as a total stranger at a tournament and ask her thoughts about that incident? I agree that the player's feelings are very important, but some kids are trained not only how to play, but how to feel. So unless you knew the person, I'm not sure what her answer to a question from a stranger would mean.

As for the incident itself, it's impossible to judge without knowing the people involved or their relationship. But I'd have to ask why he chose to grab the facemask and talk sternly. How did that help him coach this girl?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
There is absolutely never a need to grab a face mask. If a coach doesn't trust themself to be able to effectively and emphatically make a point verbally they have no business coaching IMO

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
My daughter played for many teams and coachs. She is 110% all the time. Built in
If a coach ever grabed my DD facemask I would have probably stopped the game... It would have put be over the top and I am a very calm person 99% of the time. No way that happens to my DD....

SL

Jul 26, 2010
I wouldn't be so sure you can compare the two without seeing each for yourself...but that's just my opinion.

You don't need me or anyone else to compare. No touching means no touching. All it takes is one parent and one lawyer. Is it worth it?

-W

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55