Grabbing player's mask, ok or not?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
I recently witnessed a coach summon a player over and then grab her mask while he talked to her following a base-running error. The player got doubled off 2B after a great catch in short LF. That ball probably falls 9 times out of 10.

He was coaching 1B and pointed at her as soon as she was retired and did the come here gesture with his finger and then grabbed her mask while he talked to her. He wasn't shouting or jerking her head around, but from my vantage point, he had a firm grip while giving her a stern chat.

Maybe I'm being overly sensitive, but it just seemed wrong.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
I do...Way out of line. If you need to coach that way to get your point across then it time you get replaced. Or find a new method of getting through to a girl

I would say a coach like that probably is divorced, or on his way....

SL

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I have to see it to comment fully. Now a coach in football would grab my face guard to get my attention, not to mention words that were pretty "strong". Now memories of those talks make me wonder if my big azz would feel right doing the same to some 110lb girl.

All I can say is I've never done it, and never will.

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
Overly sensitive, on the coaches part. Sounds like the young lady was damned if she ran, damned if she didn't . The coach should have given a hat tip to the left fielder and let it go. Personally for me, touching players at this age, male or female, is a no no, unless you are physically showing them how to do something.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12