Gotta laugh...the money-making tactics of big tournaments...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
We are playing in the Colorado Jr. Sparkler tournament in July. I just received an email that included an "exclusive" invitation to play in the Colorado Jr. Sparkler All Star game that will be coached by college coaches. After further review on the 'net, it is very much a money making scheme for Triple Crown. You pay $125 to play. That's per player. LOL.

Thanks, but no thanks. :) BTW, DD is in 8th grade (turns 14 on Wednesday of this week).

Oh yeah, and I read that the the "college coaches" are really coaches from the local jr colleges. However, you can invite the coaches you want to come see you play.

Dec 7, 2011
Putting the Fireworks aside for a moment:

From my experience the Sparkler has been a strong disappointment in the area of "exposure" EXCEPT for the Academic All-Stars games where it was the exact opposite.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
We played a Triple Crown event couple of years ago. They had a system of where coaches vote for players to be on some All-star type event. Got the paperwork a few weeks later and the fees were in excess of a grand a player. Needless to say we passed.

Jul 26, 2010
The Sparkler is a "gateway" tournament in CO. Finish in the top and you'll get an invite to one of the other big tournaments in CO that week next year.

-W

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Count me in.
gif-kids-money-277234.gif

gif-money-208843.gif

Last edited:

CoachGene72

Can Talk Softball all day
Nov 17, 2012
SoCo
Welcome to Colorado! I feel like a bad host - boo on TC for being so insanely expensive.
Please do not blame Colorado, This is strictly TCS at work. Their tournaments are usually $100 to $200 more than any other tournament hosting org.. TCS seems to think that they are elite, yet they are no better tournaments than ASA, USSSA, etd...

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
I know... it's just the "wants everyone to be happy" part of me. I feel bad for everyone having to spend insane amounts of money in our beautiful state (DD has been to other TC tourneys in other states, TC is of course expensive everywhere, but still)

The Sparkler is a nice way for Colorado teams to test their mettle against the best teams around. The insane $1600 fee actually gives two tournaments, the Sparkler and a warm-up the weekend prior. I can't imagine teams from out of state doing both? I agree with the complaint about the TC elite mentality, but their tournaments ARE really well run, and the umpires are some of the best around here, so OK.

Feel free, anyone, to PM me if you want some good places to eat/things to do while your team is here this summer.

Last edited: