GoPro help?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 3, 2016
I have a couple questions. I’m using a GoPro hero 8 and using my phones hot spot to stream live to FB. I can connect to the hotspot on my phone and it will stream all day but I’ve tried using both my wife and dd’s phones and it will disconnect from the hot spot after a few minutes. Anyone had this issue and found a solution?

That leads me to my next question. What is everyone using for their hotspot for the GoPro? I can use my phone but my “unlimited” plan only allows 15gb (around6-8 games) of high speed then it slows to a crawl and won’t livestream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
This is my second biggest complaint (behind ultra-wide FOV while streaming) with GoPro on their streaming process. Requiring WiFi is janky. Mevo passes through your LTE, therefore you don't have to deal with tethering and is more stable. So it can be done; they just don't. Up until this season, we used a dedicated hotspot from a company called OTR. They had an unlimited plan on the ATT network and was a fixed cost per month. They switched to T-Mobile (which is horrible around here) and raised the price. So we switched to our normal carrier, Verizon. Runs well, but is expensive as it isn't unlimited.

May 3, 2016
I have Verizon and even if I add a mobile hotspot to our plan they will only allow 15gb of high speed due to it being an older “unlimited” plan. Aka we want you to switch to this new plan that will almost double your bill. That’s why I was thinking of getting a stand alone hotspot if I could find one that was cost effective and unlimited

May 16, 2016
I am not using a go pro, but streaming with a Mevo. I recently added a Mi-Fi 8000 dedicated hotspot to my existing Sprint/T-mobile plan, which already had 4 phones with "unlimited" data. And I am getting 50GB of highspeed data for $50/month.

The coverage in rural areas may not be as complete as Verizon, but for the High School season, it has worked perfectly.

I choose the Mi-Fi 8000 because it has external antennae ports, the cheaper hotspot devices do not have these ports. I have a pair of bunny ears for the Mi-Fi, which I've read increase upload/download speeds.

Jul 14, 2018
Requiring WiFi is janky. Mevo passes through your LTE, therefore you don't have to deal with tethering and is more stable.

Can you elaborate on this a little? I have an older GoPro that connects via Wi-Fi to my phone running LIVE4. It seems that the first game of the day goes smoothly every time, but once I stop and restart it cuts off after a few minutes. I’ve tried everything, including removing the battery and restarting the phone. I’m probably going to upgrade to Mevo for Christmas, but I’d like to understand what’s going on.

- A happy LinkSpyder customer

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
Can you elaborate on this a little? I have an older GoPro that connects via Wi-Fi to my phone running LIVE4. It seems that the first game of the day goes smoothly every time, but once I stop and restart it cuts off after a few minutes. I’ve tried everything, including removing the battery and restarting the phone. I’m probably going to upgrade to Mevo for Christmas, but I’d like to understand what’s going on.

Honestly, I can't comment on Live4. It looks like they have more compatibility now. But not too long ago, they really didn't support many of the new cameras. Looks like they go up to HERO7 Black now. But the issue I described earlier is related to the actual streaming mode from within the camera (not using an external app like you are doing with Live4). Within the streaming process, it fixes a non-adjustable ultra wide FOV (that's the first issue) and requires a WiFi connection, rather than passing through your phone's LTE connection, which I think is what you are able to do with Live4; certainly you are able to do this with Mevo.

I'll have to give Live4 another look. Hopefully they will allow for the HERO8/9 cameras soon. I'd rather GoPro just fix the 2 issues and be done with it already.

May 3, 2016
Another issue I have had is at our HS we have WIFI at the field. They gave me the password so I could stream without using up my data. It will start streaming and about 10 seconds in the schools filter for FB will kick it off. We have been trying to find a way around that with no luck so far.

May 3, 2016

Does Live4 use the phones LTE to stream? If so this may be the ticket.

Aug 3, 2016
Another issue I have had is at our HS we have WIFI at the field. They gave me the password so I could stream without using up my data. It will start streaming and about 10 seconds in the schools filter for FB will kick it off. We have been trying to find a way around that with no luck so far.

Are you connecting the GoPro directly to the school's wifi or your phone to the wifi and the GoPro to your phone? Maybe you can run a vpn on your phone to get around the fb site blocking?

May 3, 2016
Are you connecting the GoPro directly to the school's wifi or your phone to the wifi and the GoPro to your phone? Maybe you can run a vpn on your phone to get around the fb site blocking?

I’m not positive this is 100% correct but here’s how I think it works. First you connect the GoPro to the WiFi through the phone and it runs through the phone until you start the livestream. Once the livestream starts the GoPro connects directly to the WiFi. (You can take the phone away or shut if off without killing the stream).
First time I tried it it would kick me off as soon as it tried to set up the stream.
Added a VPN. It would let me set up the stream and it would get 2-10 seconds in and kick it off.
They even attempted to unblock the MAC address of the GoPro and that didn’t work.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13