goofy pitching rules!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 4, 2009
Buffalo, NY
Must be my night for rants, but it helps to let off some steam. The rules in this 9u rec league are awful. The league consists of rec teams from 5 of the youth organizations coordinated by a local rec department. The 5 softball directors sat down at a meeting and decided in March the rules. Seems like a few of them never informed their coaches. Ours let us know and we prepared for the season with these rules. First off we were going to coach pitch until June 20 and then the girls would pitch. There was a 3 inning limit per game and there were walks if first was open, otherwise the coach would come in and pitch. We reached the 20th and the dodo hit the wall. Some teams refused to let the girls pitch, they claimed the did hear about it until a week before. We pitched and lost that first game, mainly because our #2 pitcher did poorly and still the other coach didn't like it. So they decided that the next game would be coach pitch and they would re look over the rules and decide what to do. What they decided was this, coach pitch inning 1,2 and 6 with player pitch 3,4 and 5. However, there are NO WALKS and the pitcher has 6 pitches to throw against the batter and if she doesn't hit or K the coach comes in. This is what happens when the inmates are running the asylum.

Jan 30, 2010
In our minor rec league, 7-10 yr olds, the girls pitch until a walk,hit or K. Then the coach pitches until hit or K. One rule for coach pitching is it has to be on a line with no arc more than chest high. Most coaches cant pitch on a line,maybe i should offer my services to pitch for both coaches in that game and charge them.

Jul 3, 2009
Back in the day, our local rec league had a rule of 4-walks then change to coach pitch. Normal rules until the 4th batter got walked, then normal coach pitch rules. Everyone seemed okay with that format.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse