Good Swing Speed MPH 12-14U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
Christmas came early for this coach and I'm trying out a new pocket radar. Certainly know what I'm looking for with my pitchers but what about hitters? I was wondering what some good swing speeds are to measure kids in the 12U-14U range? Thanks & Happy Holidays!

Mar 23, 2010
I started last year looking more at exit velocity off of a tee than swing speed. Exit velocity requires good swing mechanics where if you are just measuring how fast they can swing a bat.

We use the tee set up for a fat down the middle pitch and base our EV off of this. From my experience and research most 12-14u girls have EV some where between 38-55 mph with the median being around 46 mph. To give you a judge, a good friend of mine is a D1 Coach and her two best hitters have EV of 73 and 76 mph respectively, they believe that it takes an EV of 70 mph+ to consistently hit out field gaps at their level

Oct 14, 2008
Most 12 to 14,s Run on the average of batted ball speed from the mid 40,s to mid 50,s. Which pretty much comes in line with the EV speed which I have seen falls about 4mph or so slower than the bat speed. I have a few 12,u that hit 70 plus but those are the exception and not the rule

D1 minimum bat speed is 65 and believe it or not alot struggle even at the D1 level to achieve that.

If you get a 12u swing in the 60,s you have done well.

Tim

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I have a couple in the mid to upper 40s...7 or 8 scattered through the 50s...2 in the low 60s and dd upper 60s and a 70-71 a couple times.

Oct 25, 2009
I started last year looking more at exit velocity off of a tee than swing speed. Exit velocity requires good swing mechanics where if you are just measuring how fast they can swing a bat.

We use the tee set up for a fat down the middle pitch and base our EV off of this. From my experience and research most 12-14u girls have EV some where between 38-55 mph with the median being around 46 mph. To give you a judge, a good friend of mine is a D1 Coach and her two best hitters have EV of 73 and 76 mph respectively, they believe that it takes an EV of 70 mph+ to consistently hit out field gaps at their level

This is the information I should be looking for off the tee instead of the info I was asking about in my thread about distance off the tee.

THANKS!

Have any data about EV during games?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi