Good Rules to a Successful Team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

fastpitchsbcoach

Coach Mike
Aug 7, 2011
Jacksonville, FL.

Good Rules to a Successful Team

Never put a player on your roster who has no chance to get a scholarship to fill a roster spot or who have parents that will help the team out financially. If you can't play her on elimination day you don't need to waste the parents money and players time.

Never cut established players because another comes along that is better. Coach your player up. If a player played well enough to make your roster and is giving her all and still doesn't play her position solid, it isn't the players fault it's the coaches.

Get rid of team cancers quick!!!! If you have a player that joins your team and then seems to keep a bad attitude, alienates herself from the rest of the team, forms or tries to form clicks, back talks coaches or ignores them, talks bad about coaches or other players and worst of all have parents that do the same.
Don't wait until the end of the season cut them fast "they will tear your team apart".

Treat your players and parents as you want them to treat you, enough said.

Get rid of players who have parents that continually make excuses as to why they can't go to the more costly tournaments or rely on other parents to do it. If they have an established arrangement that is another story.

Make sure parents know the cost to play travel ball and unless they have a good excuse as to why they fall behind on payments. Unless you want to pay their way, It's hard to do they have to be cut. I have lost around $5000. over the years for not having the heart to do what is right.

Last but not least, shows up on time.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
Never put a player on your roster who has no chance to get a scholarship to fill a roster spot or who have parents that will help the team out financially. If you can't play her on elimination day you don't need to waste the parents money and players time.

Maybe at 18U Gold level I would have this rule. I understand what you are saying, but unless you are an 18U elite level team, you probably have a few girls who are going to be rostered that are playing because they just love the game.

Get rid of team cancers quick!!!! If you have a player that joins your team and then seems to keep a bad attitude, alienates herself from the rest of the team, forms or tries to form clicks, back talks coaches or ignores them, talks bad about coaches or other players and worst of all have parents that do the same.
Don't wait until the end of the season cut them fast "they will tear your team apart".

Agreed

Get rid of players who have parents that continually make excuses as to why they can't go to the more costly tournaments or rely on other parents to do it. If they have an established arrangement that is another story.

Not going to get rid of a great kid because her parents can't afford to travel with the team.

Treat your players and parents as you want them to treat you, enough said.

Agreed. I wouldn't want the parents to get rid of me as a coach because I am not college coach materiel. Also wouldn't want the organization to boot me because I was struggling to pay my own way to the more costly tournaments. ;)

Last but not least, shows up on time.

Absolutely!

Jan 24, 2011

Never cut established players because another comes along that is better. Coach your player up. If a player played well enough to make your roster and is giving her all and still doesn't play her position solid, it isn't the players fault it's the coaches.

Are you talking about in season or from one season to the next. Our team holds tryouts each year. We take the 12 best players/families that fit our team the best. Regardless , if there were with the team the previous season or not.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences

I have a player who was an average 12U player. When moving to 14U, she has had a hard
time adjusting to the speed of the game, never a strong hitter, her BA has plunged to .100.
She is at every practice, works hard, takes one on one session with me when she is going to
miss practices. Physically, her skill set has plateaued. She is a nice kid and good team mate
who has gone from a starter to a bench player what would you do?

Oct 25, 2009
I have a player who was an average 12U player. When moving to 14U, she has had a hard
time adjusting to the speed of the game, never a strong hitter, her BA has plunged to .100.
She is at every practice, works hard, takes one on one session with me when she is going to
miss practices. Physically, her skill set has plateaued. She is a nice kid and good team mate
who has gone from a starter to a bench player what would you do?

I would post video.

If you want change, you have to change something. If she has "plateaued" experiment, think outside of the box. Try a wider stride, try a shorter stride, exaggerate a hip coil, double her front toss swings, triple them. Don't quit on her as long as she's willing to work! Don't think she can't, think she can!

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
Please explain the first line. I also think some families without money can be helped by the org/families.

I agree with the rest, but look at all the adverts for tryouts; All positions are open, even on winning teams with full rosters!

Yeah I am not sure I understand the first rule in relation to the second. #1 seems to be don't waste your time with weaker players, #2 then says don't cut weaker players.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ODorr