Going rate for a practice catcher?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Really off topic but ..

I am a selfish SOB, DD has a couple players that asked to come over or go to her lessons to C her. I still C her.

Nov 14, 2011
I would love to still catch her but my eyesight isn't the best. If we are outside I can do better but indoors I am helpless. It is simply a safety issue (for myself) to have someone catch her anymore. Sad, because I really miss bucket time with my DD. Only a couple more years left before she is done.....

Jan 3, 2014
OT a little bit here too. But, DS wanted to do some pitching the other day so we went off to the local indoor facility. I was confident, cocky. He's only 12, but oh my God, he throws harder than he used to, and even his fastball moves. I was very relieved when another kid on his team wandered up and offered to catch.... I may have to get my own gear or retire from bucket dad duty completely.

I would have paid his teammate whatever he wanted but he didn't ask for anything.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
It is a great question and with the support your providing her she can be on our Team if she is looking.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2009
I would love to still catch her but my eyesight isn't the best. If we are outside I can do better but indoors I am helpless. It is simply a safety issue (for myself) to have someone catch her anymore. Sad, because I really miss bucket time with my DD. Only a couple more years left before she is done.....

I was fortunate enough to make it all the way through college with my DD. It is the thing I miss the most. The one-on-one time together is something you can't replace. Even when we're coaching together. It's just not the same. And you're right. It's over before realize it's even started. Make sure you treasure every high and low point with equal intensity. The number is finite.

Getting back on topic.... Most of the pitchers will take the catchers out to eat.... And they say boys are always hungry?????

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
$0. From 8U fastpitch to NFL QBs working on timing with receivers in the offseason, teammates show up to get better. DD is helping that catcher work on blocking, receiving, etc at game speed. Win win.

Catching an hour-long pitching lesson for free is part of being a good teammate and a good way for a pitcher-catcher battery to become comfortable working together. $10 is pretty standard for catching a lesson for a non-teammate. Food is a bonus in both cases!

But being completely honest, a catcher can achieve similar training benefits in 10 minutes working independently. Which raises an interesting question, when was the last time a pitcher volunteered to help train a catcher?

Nov 14, 2011
So the starting catcher for the HS texted my DD tonight after practice and said that she isn't able to catch her now. Looks like I am back on the bucket and get to count the shin bruises on Sunday from a Friday night lesson!

Apr 28, 2014
DD is 11 and on the pure 12 team. Her friend is on the 11U team. Her friend catches for her every week for 1 hour during practice.
I take them for Ice Cream after practice. Seems to work for them.
As stated, the catcher is getting work.

Feb 23, 2014
No. CA
We are lucky enough to have our PC coach a local JUCO team. After pitching practice, we head to the campus cafe and it's ice creams for them! Makes 'em come back every week.

Nov 23, 2014
My daughter is 12. She happily catches pitching lessons for friends. Ice cream would just be a bonus. She knows it gives her practice too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LisagS24