Going out in style

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 27, 2015
My 13 year old decided 8 weeks ago she was done playing softball but agreed to continue playing with her team until the season was over.

So for the last 8 weeks she has worked her butt off at practices, she has cheered her team on from the bench, she has played whatever position her coach told her to go play (she is a first baser and a pitcher). Her team lost two teammates due to injuries and brought in two pick up players for the last 6 weeks. My daughter still gave her all, even though she played an average of 3 innings per weekend.

Her very last game, she rode the bench for four innings, except to bat. Fifth inning started and they pulled their #1 pitcher. With no warm up and a cold arm, my daughter pitched the last three innings, not allowing a single run scored and only two hits off her. She hit to the fence twoce and hit a nice triple as well.

After the game was over and the team was done, we approached her coach to say thanks for coaching her but we wouldn't be back as my daughter was choosing to no longer play anymore. Her coaches response, "you aren't one of my original five girls so I just needed you to fill the team anyways."

Going out classier than I would have, my daughter politely responded that she wished the five girls the best and again thanked the coach for this season.

I have a feeling she will play high school ball, she wants to enjoy the game without the politics of tournament ball. As much as I will miss watching her play, her happiness is most important. Plus I can still watch her sister play :)

Jun 12, 2015
Wow, nice coach. Sounds like she handled that with grace. I know you must be sad about it being over. Do you think she might change her mind down the road?

Apr 26, 2015
Wow - good for your daughter! She sounds like a smart girl. Good luck to her in whatever she chooses!
That coach - wow, just wow! Who says something like that? :(

Sep 27, 2015
I am going to miss watching her play
She is an amazing player but bad coaching has taken her love for the game. She has never had a greay coach who believed in her. We have always kept her in private hitting, fielding, and pitching lessons and after her last game, have been contacted by four other teams saying she should come play for them.

I really hope a break will do her so good, it breaks my heart that she may be done playing BUT I know why she is giving up.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I think it is good that your dd is going out on her terms. It was awfully inconsiderate of that coach to say what was said to your dd.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I have a feeling she will play high school ball, she wants to enjoy the game without the politics of tournament ball.

A game without the politics? High school softball? Please keep us updated with that. :)

Great story, btw. Good memories are what you should take away from softball. Sounds like she's certainly taking some with her.

Aug 8, 2010
Hang in there Mom. I have seen a lot of girls hang it up only to be sucked back in by a love of the game that they didn't know was deep inside them. Just keep your ears open for a "Mom, you want to go throw?"

Jul 17, 2016
Sometimes I wonder what is in some of these coaches heads when they say stuff like that. These are young girls, with all that entails. Adult egos should be held in check. Tell parents off if you want, just don't be a @#$%($* to the kids.

Had one tell my daughter when she was leaving his team that she's never play anywhere else, and would sit the bench.

She played up the next year (12U eligible playing 14U) and took the starting bracket catcher spot playing higher level competition than the old team. After having to fight against two coaches kids trying to catch on the old one, only one of who had any business playing catcher.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad