Going backwards with BI

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
While dd is making progress with her drive her BI which has always been strong, has got worse. The won thing that came natural to my dd was BI, she's always brushed her hip this is a video from April 2015
https://www.coachseye.com/v/UNEk

Here's a video from this week,
I see it getting worse. in this video it isnt too bad, but its the only vid ive got from the backside right now.

https://www.coachseye.com/v/HH78

BI is the one thing that came natuarlly to her, i dont want it coached out of her. PC thinks in both videos shes getting too much behind herself, causing her to pitch around her body. what do you guys think?

I hate tacos- said no Juan anywhere

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
The videos look pretty good. Without seeing much more, I'd keep chatting about keeping the release loose, whippy and close to the thigh.

CWDD.JPG

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Get some slow motion video from the side so you can see the position of her hand and the ball when BI occurs. If she is not getting any "whip" from the BI, then it is really not helping. It is hard to tell the positioning from behind.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
Get some slow motion video from the side so you can see the position of her hand and the ball when BI occurs. If she is not getting any "whip" from the BI, then it is really not helping. It is hard to tell the positioning from behind.

Your right it looks good from behind.
from the side it looks off, There is something off with her whip for sure.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
The videos look pretty good. Without seeing much more, I'd keep chatting about keeping the release loose, whippy and close to the thigh.

View attachment 9472

"Keeping it loose"she really really struggles with! She's muscling most of her pitches, I tell her to stay loose so much that as soon as I say it she could burst into tears depending on what mood she's in. Needless to say, I refrain from saying it much anymore.
The reason she's so frustrated is because she doesn't know how to stay loose,she tries so hard it backfires and makes her more tense. I'm going to try keeping my mouth shut in that one and see if that doesn't help?

What Im trying, is have her focus on warming up at a slower pace keeping her arm nice and relaxed, saying relaxed instead of loose doesn't have the same effect on her.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Sounds like she was originally a hello elbow student, probably pitched with heavy balls, and had a lot of pain in the back of her shoulder.... now this conversion to I/R and BI is difficult. Remember, it's not a race... slow and steady in this transition. Transfer the energy as smoothly as possible with emphasis on the legs..... not the arm and shoulder!

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2013
While dd is making progress with her drive her BI which has always been strong, has got worse. The won thing that came natural to my dd was BI, she's always brushed her hip this is a video from April 2015
https://www.coachseye.com/v/UNEk

Here's a video from this week,
I see it getting worse. in this video it isnt too bad, but its the only vid ive got from the backside right now.

https://www.coachseye.com/v/HH78

BI is the one thing that came natuarlly to her, i dont want it coached out of her. PC thinks in both videos shes getting too much behind herself, causing her to pitch around her body. what do you guys think?

One observation. In the 1st video she is doing a drill. In the 2nd video she is pitching full motion. I don't think you are comparing apples to apples. For example, when doing drills, my DD tends to throw bullet spin however as soon as she does her full arm whip, she gets very good 12/6 spin. My point is that she may have not lost as much BI as you think she has? Just a theory.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
I'm just taking a stab at this but it looks like possibly she is accelerating on the up swing and decelerating on the down swing through release. Maybe using a lighter ball and focusing on accelerating into and through the whip. Just a thought

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole