Glove

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 8, 2014
My daughter is 11- and she needs a new glove.

When she started pitching at 8- during that season she started using a 12" Mizuno Finch Glove (which I believe was "used" already when she started using it). It lasted all through that season plus the next- with an allstar season that year too (9u).

When it broke right before last season 10u- she insisted, so we replaced it with another 12' Mizuno Finch- even though she had grown quite a bit from age 9 to age 10. She used it that little league season plus for some travel ball tournaments (4). When it broke in the middle of her allstar season that year... dad was determined that this off season he would force her to purchase a "quality" glove that would last through at least one season for her going forward. Also, she used a 12" when she was 8 years old, and only 4 foot-something. By the time she started her 10u season- she was 5'2" already. And is probably going to be at least 5'4" by this spring- if she isn't already. We at least thought maybe she'd "move up" in size- if nothing else. But she refuses. We've given her so many other glove options to try.

The closest we've come to getting her to abandon the Finch glove is to change her to the 12" 'Mizuno Franchise Fastpitch Series: GFN1200F1.'

Should we just be glad it's not a youth glove and go with the Mizuno Franchise glove? It couldn't seem more like the Finch glove if it tried, I don't think. There are ratings on the tag on the glove that specifies whether a glove is for 'rec, travel ball, high school or college' and of course it says 'rec,' so of course we are skeptical it will last all through another season/travel ball season/allstar season. But I really can't bring myself to force her away from the only glove she is happy with. I think we are stuck. I really don't think she wants anything that is not as close to that Mizuno Finch as she can get.

My only other hope would be if there was a glove exactly like the 12" Mizuno Finch that had any kind of durability too? But I'm guessing softness/cheapness & "nondurability" characteristics of the glove are the exact reasons that she prefers it so much. So I don't think I have a choice.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
She probably likes the cheap gloves for their ease of use right out of the wrapper. Expensive gloves take awhile to break in, so my suggestion would be to find a used higher end glove and give it to her to see if she likes it. If it is already broken in, she may like it, and if she doesn't like it you can sell it and get your money back - assuming you got a good deal to start with! I love Ebay, but there are other options, including used sporting goods stores and Craigslist.

Apr 8, 2014
Thank you both. I suspected it was the ease of use. I think I will take your advice and look up a used higher end too for her to try.

It was the strings that broke on the first Finch glove that lasted at least 2 seasons. On the 2nd it was actually the wrist closure strap (she actually loves the Velcro strap & uses it- constantly)- they changed it to a really cheap plastic type strap between the first model and the 2nd that we had. So at least the Mizuno Franchise doesn't have the cheap plastic And it does say the Mizuno Franchise is leather (java leather), so we may be okay if she rejects the used higher-end that we get her to try too. I think it must have just been the designation of 'rec' that scared me into thinking it wouldn't last a full season just like the last one.

Thanks. Very much appreciated.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie