Glove weight for young pitchers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 25, 2020
Of course it's mechanical but so is bat drag. I don't think a light glove is a 'cause' but maybe she wouldn't throw the arm out so far if the glove had more weight. I think that pitchers swing the arm out as a way to get leverage to help close the shoulders, something they shouldn't do.

One of my 16U students got a heavier 'better' glove in mid season and told me that the extra weight threw her off. She practiced with it on and off for several weeks before adjusting to it and using it in games.

Ohhh interesting, Im in the boat that the glove is too heavy for my first year 10u dd. I think she's trying to move her glove arm as fast as her throwing arm but cant because there is 2.5x the weight on the glove arm. So she uses her shoulder to move her arm faster.

I could see the opposite happening at older ages. Where a heavy glove might aid.

Or I could be totally wrong!

Sep 19, 2018
an a2000 is too heavy for 99% of first year 10U regardless of position. Even a small one like your example is heavier than a youth glove made for the age. an A900 will be almost 1/2 the weight and be usable for her very quickly. It will be a pancake in 2 years when she is strong enough to use the heavier glove.

Feb 25, 2020
an a2000 is too heavy for 99% of first year 10U regardless of position. Even a small one like your example is heavier than a youth glove made for the age. an A900 will be almost 1/2 the weight and be usable for her very quickly. It will be a pancake in 2 years when she is strong enough to use the heavier glove.

We will see! Ill pick up a a900 at dicks tomorrow. I'll weigh it and the a2000 when it comes haha. (Ya i ordered it last night!)

I think you are right though thank you.

Sep 19, 2018
My dd is first year 12U. A pitcher as well. She is small for her age. I picked up the A2000 H12 when they went on sale a couple of months ago. It has a tiny hand stall. I cannot get my hand in. Which is perfect as my DD hands are a lot smaller than mine. I am assuming this is true of all of wilson's softball gloves. One of the first things my dd said when she got it was..... It is so heavy.

Feb 25, 2020
My dd is first year 12U. A pitcher as well. She is small for her age. I picked up the A2000 H12 when they went on sale a couple of months ago. It has a tiny hand stall. I cannot get my hand in. Which is perfect as my DD hands are a lot smaller than mine. I am assuming this is true of all of wilson's softball gloves. One of the first things my dd said when she got it was..... It is so heavy.

So I went and picked up an 11.5" a950 (baseball model technically) today. It weighs 16 oz. 6 oz less than her current glove.(the famous HoH pro206-dfp). She seemed to like it so we'll try it out.

Dd is tall and strong for her age (~95 lbs and not fat like me). She is probably in the 1% that can handle a glove like that. She's done really well with her current one but I'm just curious to see how she likes/does with a smaller one. The old addage "just because you can doesnt mean you should" applies maybe. With the amount of time and effort she has put in I think its worth a shot. She thought so too.

I'll update in a few weeks with both her and my opinion. I'll weigh and send back that 11" A2000 also. I'm betting itll come in at 19 oz.

Anyways, thanks very much everyone for the input!

Feb 25, 2020
Here is an update for anyone interested.

We have just been pitching and doing some hands drills when the weather is nice. The pro 206 is on vacation for a few years I think. It wasnt the stiffness. It was the weight. Just doing hands drills the difference is noticeable. The 6 oz difference makes the wilson more scalpelish. Instant improvement. I had always wondered why it seemed like her glove work was seemingly not as good as other parts of her game.

To wrap up the other parts of the thread, the 11" A2000 weighed 19 oz with tags on. So to summarize glove weights, 11.5" a950 @16 oz, 11" a2000 @19 oz, 12" pro206-jtb @22 oz , (my) 13" pro dct at 26 oz.

I found it interesting that the difference between the a950 and the pro206 was larger than the difference between the pro 206 and my big ol pro-dct.

I think the a950/aura series are pretty nice in their own right.

Here it is in action(doin the side stroke)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma