Glove weight for young pitchers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 25, 2020
What is the effect of glove weight on a young pitcher. The ball weighs 6 oz and my DD glove weighs about 22 oz. She is a 10u. Would it be beneficial to wear a 11" glove that might weigh like 15 oz? Does a heavier glove help or hirt swimming. Does a heavier glove help/hurt arm speed?

Dd, like many swims a little(lot), and Im wondering if a 11" light glove might help her mechanics.

Yes might seem crazy but I think the glove could also be used as an infield trainer type glove.

This is one Im looking at

Ive saved alot of money on pitching lessons 🎅...

Last edited:
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
A quality glove like that will last a long time. Will she be able to use it when she moves up to the 12" ball?

It's hard to say how glove weight affects 'swim', would a heavier glove keep her from moving the arm out so much by serving as a stabilizer? I don't know.

Feb 25, 2020
A quality glove like that will last a long time. Will she be able to use it when she moves up to the 12" ball?

It's hard to say how glove weight affects 'swim', would a heavier glove keep her from moving the arm out so much by serving as a stabilizer? I don't know.

Thanks Those are good questions. 1 oz on a bat can make a pretty big difference I am curious how it works for a glove and pitching.

Maybe I'll order it to at least weigh it and see how the ball fits. Free shipping and returns after all!

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Swim has nothing to do with her glove, it’s mechanics, I bet she would swim even without wearing a glove. Swim comes keeping that front shoulder open.

A gloves weight shouldn’t effect “swimming”. If she’s going to swim she’ll swim with or without a glove. It’s a mechanics flaw and can be fixed/minimized. (Edit: I know this because my DD swam like a fish in the ocean. We’ve worked hard on it this year and it’s helped her a lot.)

I’d also think that a couple ounces will not make or break anything long term. It may become noticeable in the last few innings when she’s pitched a whole game by herself. Maybe. My opinion is to focus on a glove that fits her well. The confident feeling of a well fit glove will outweigh a few extra ounces. No pun intended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020
Hmmm. I have been thinking about this all day.

You guys dont think it's possible for a youth hitter to develop some bad mechanics from having a bat thats way too big?

Oct 26, 2019
Hmmm. I have been thinking about this all day.

You guys dont think it's possible for a youth hitter to develop some bad mechanics from having a bat thats way too big?
I’m not sure if a bat thats too big causes the problem or just exaggerates the problem. Either way it ain’t a good thing!

Feb 25, 2020
I’m not sure if a bat thats too big causes the problem or just exaggerates the problem. Either way it ain’t a good thing!

Ya I think its a combo. Heres a video of bryce harper swinging a 48 oz bat. His mechanics look fine in BP. The reason he doesnt swing it in a game is far different than the reason little suzie doesnt swing a 1 inch longer 1 inch heavier bat in a game I think.

Feb 25, 2020
Or watch someone try amd deadlift a weight thats too heavy.

I bet he has good mechanics with just 100 lbs!

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Of course it's mechanical but so is bat drag. I don't think a light glove is a 'cause' but maybe she wouldn't throw the arm out so far if the glove had more weight. I think that pitchers swing the arm out as a way to get leverage to help close the shoulders, something they shouldn't do.

One of my 16U students got a heavier 'better' glove in mid season and told me that the extra weight threw her off. She practiced with it on and off for several weeks before adjusting to it and using it in games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478