Glove Recomendation for 10U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 22, 2013
I know variations of this question get posted often however. My DD plays 10U TB and I am looking for a good durable glove to last a few years, ideally. She currently uses Mizuno, good glove, well taken care of, just not holding up. I personally played ball and was an American made Rawlings Heart of the Hide person, my gloves are still in good shape 25+ years later. I dont mind spending the money on a glove that is quality and will last. I am wondering what suggestions anyone has on a quality glove to fit small hands and will hold up. Have looked at the A2000, Nokona, and Mizuno. Just not sure on what is gonna fit a small hand. We are not located near any major metropolitan areas and the stores with in 100 miles have nothing except lower end gloves and not much selection to look over. She is a pitcher that plays outfield and some second base, she currently uses a 12 inch glove. Thank you for the information.

If she is 10 now, I'd wait a little bit. IMHO, there is no need breaking in a "long-term" glove if she is going to be changing to a 12" ball in the next year.

If she's moving up this Fall, that's a different story. It really depends on what she likes and what feels best on her hand. I can't really tell you what that is. I do know that some of the gloves that fit smaller hands (10 year old hands) best are not necessarily what you would consider a 25+ year type of glove investment. Some of the gloves that seem to fit girls hands really well are the Easton Rival and Natural Elite, LS TPS Valkyrie, Worth Century & Legit, Mizuno MVP and Wilson A1000.

None of these are high-end gloves that I'd be looking to hold up through her high school years, but one or more should fit her hand well.

I tell my girls' parents that until they reach 14U, you really have to think of gloves the same way you do bats and that your daughter will need to replace them frequently while she is still small and growing. One of the above should get her trough 12U ball just fine and then you can start looking again after her next growth spurt.

Jun 24, 2013
I promise you I am not affiliated with the company but Akadema makes a nice glove for a reasonable price. Small DD has one that is working out nice.

At 10 she used a Jenny Finch glove that also worked great, lot of errors left in it if you want me to ship it to you.

As LAS mentioned I am not sure I would go through the trouble of breaking in a high end glove just yet but with that said a 12” glove should last her for a long time so I am a little on the fence on this one.

Edit: If you are going to buy over the Internet DFP member Casedawg will answer all your concerns and get you a glove that works for your DD.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2013
thanks for the information, I hope everyone continues to add to it. I am not looking for a glove to last through high school however if I can get 4 years of service out of one that would be great then it can be a back up in the bag or passed to someone else. I referance the older american made heart of the hide glove as what I consider quality. I am definitly not a glove snob but when you look at what parents spend on the sport, something that will last a couple years is a bonus. Being in the midwest try on options are limited and unfortunately we will probably have to look to the internet. I have tried most of the St. Louis area stores including Johnny Macs and baseball is king when it comes to quality gloves. Keep the info coming it is greatly appreciated. Just thinking out loud, maybe we need a glove review like we do bats?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Second Akadema. Wont break the bank and are just great gloves. Tend to run a little smaller than listed though so make sure you order 1/2" larger than other gloves.

Jan 7, 2013
DD loves her Akedema. Still being broke in. Part time SS. Mostly catcher.

Looking to pick between the Akedema, Vinci or new All Star catchers mitts. In a couple weeks. Hope to see the Allstar mitt at the NECC camp. Partial to the Akedema though. The glove fits the smaller hand
and is really good quality.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
My DD is in her first year of 10u. She has gone through three of the Mizuno Finch gloves. The break in easy but end up getting too soft. We bought a Wilson A600 this season for around $65 and it feels like a much sturdier glove. I had a hard time finding anything because she is a lefty but this one fit perfect and it is a 12.5.

I'm waiting until she hits middle school before I throw $150 on a glove.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
DD loves her Akedema. Still being broke in. Part time SS. Mostly catcher.

Looking to pick between the Akedema, Vinci or new All Star catchers mitts. In a couple weeks. Hope to see the Allstar mitt at the NECC camp. Partial to the Akedema though. The glove fits the smaller hand
and is really good quality.

Catcher's mitts are different. I am extremely fond of the Mizuno GXS-92 for growing catchers. They can be had for $60, break in REAL fast and are great mitts. They do tend to need to be replaced every couple of years of hard use, but for $60 who really cares. Mine get destroyed because I use mine to coach, catch my DD's pitching lessons and then my catchers kept stealing it to use in games until I force their parents to buy them one of their own. Great value glove until they get to their HS years and they need to spend the $200+ on a glove.

Dec 11, 2010
Got 2 daughters using akedema gloves. Take awhile to break in and are good gloves. They run specials regularly.

I might try a Vinci next time. Everybody says casedog is da man to talk to.

Aug 8, 2010
Got 2 daughters using akedema gloves. Take awhile to break in and are good gloves. They run specials regularly.

I might try a Vinci next time. Everybody says casedog is da man to talk to.
Any glove that is going to last will be stiff at first and take a bit to break in. The gloves that are game ready off the shelf have a hard time holding up to Travel type use. With any concession, there is always a price to pay. There is no magic leather where you have the best of both worlds. You either have to be ok with replacing them regularly or putting in the work on a higher level glove.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles