glove color

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Have no idea, is a direct block and copy out of the 2012 rule book pdf.

Yeah, that was sort of the point I was making. I'm sure they think that "optic" refers to only one color.

Don't care for the way that rule is worded.

Jun 22, 2008
Yeah, that was sort of the point I was making. I'm sure they think that "optic" refers to only one color.

Don't care for the way that rule is worded.

From doing some reading on colors, it appears what they may have been getting at with the term "optic" is a color scheme of multiple colors none of which are the color of the ball, but because of the patterning do look like the ball color. But yes is very poorly worded and have no idea what their true intention of the word optic is.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
The last sentence about the umpire being able to rule any glove illegal by way of distraction is the big disclaimer. DD has a Wilson A1000; the manufacturer's logo is in yellow. Now the rule does state that the manufacturer's logo is not considered a glove color; however, the umpire told DD that she either needed to ditch the glove or color in the logo with black sharpie. She colored it in. Annoying, yes, but as DD was getting ready to pitch it was better to rectify the situation at the time and fight the battle later.

Jun 22, 2008
I know umpires who carry a sharpie and if someone complains about the glove they hand the coach the sharpie.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Correct me if Im wrong... but Im pretty sure that "optic" is basically another word for neon or brightly colored. AKA softballs are "optic yellow" etc.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Correct me if Im wrong... but Im pretty sure that "optic" is basically another word for neon or brightly colored. AKA softballs are "optic yellow" etc.

And there is optic green, optic purple, etc. which is ridiculous to state it is illegal to start.

Personally, I believe the entire rule is ridiculous. The ball must come from a bare hand. If a batter is watching the glove and something as small as a 2" logo distracts you from more than 40' away, you are not focused (umpire or batter) where you should be.

I believe the entire "distraction" arguments by coaches are nothing more than excuses for the shortcomings of the players or their coaches.

Dec 20, 2012
A one inch logo is distracting but an entire uniform of neon(optic) green/yellow is perfectly fine? Just don't see the logic in that.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
The rule only comes into play for gamesmanship, if the pitcher walked five in a row, the opposing coach wouldn't say a thing if her glove was on fire.
Let her mow down 6 straight, and there's a green thread that needs to be addressed right quick.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1