Glove arm out of sync?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 18, 2013
MN
Hey folks,
I hadn't videoed dd in a while, so I got some game footage the other day. The first thing I noticed was the glove arm - it seems way out of sync, almost freezing towards the target and then coming down well after release. When I explained to her the "up together, down together" reasoning, she said that throws her off target and off balance. If we can work on this, do you think this could add a little speed? Also, if anyone sees anything else in the mechanics feel free to chime in. Thanks![video=youtube_share;E8nZcmxYZ8E]http://youtu.be/E8nZcmxYZ8E[/video]

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I believe the glove arm adds two ways: first in helping to power the drive and also to power the release. When she's playing underhand catch or warming up, encourage her to progressively add more glove as she amps up. Ask her to play with the feel of driving out harder with both hands, then pulling down together into release. I think that as she plays with this, both she and her catcher will notice a little more pop.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I think some cues can have an immediate, positive effect that can be used in real/game time instances. Work with her to find out which reminders are helpful and when to just shush and be a cheerful spectator. The balance of when to say something as a parent or coach and when to just watch and let her work it out is very important. I hate seeing a kid look to a coach/parent after every play, at bat or pitch for feedback. Kids need to learn their craft and be able to work out their issues as autonomously as possible. The parent coach needs to do the same.

Mar 18, 2013
MN
Ok explain FlOI? And trust me, I've done my fair share of shushing! Just meant that I'll mention a few things and let her roll with it. We have that type of relationship. I'm more spectator than coach, but when she asks about getting more speed or whatever is troubling her, we research together and learn together. I wouldn't change it for anything.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Out in Left Field... "OILF" seems odd to me and FLOI somehow better. A handful of her posts have had an influence on me and I hope that someday I find a majority of her posts to be helpful. She prolly feels the same about me...

I love a kid who wants to study pitching. It is rare to find such a kid. Katie Sutherland-Finch is one of my favorite student/athletes.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
This has worked pretty well for me, most recently as last week. Ball up at 9 and glove out at 3. Bring them together and have her snap the ball into the glove a few times. Have her take note of how that feels. Then ask her if it feels anything like that when she is pitching.

Mar 18, 2013
MN
This has worked pretty well for me, most recently as last week. Ball up at 9 and glove out at 3. Bring them together and have her snap the ball into the glove a few times. Have her take note of how that feels. Then ask her if it feels anything like that when she is pitching.
This sounds great - thanks Riseball. I love options.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simonet