Glove Action Important

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Thought I'd post this clip of Sarah's glove action. So many people are posting video of DD where the glove never gets up close to even shoulder high......contributing to poor timing and balance, not to mention poor landing posture.
The old instruction "drive the glove out toward the catcher" really is not a good teaching method.
Happy to take comments and questions.

TNdad

TNdad
Feb 7, 2010
EAST TN
Great video! She looks like both arms are working together. Obvious that you can create more power and whip action with a strong glove side. My daughter has some of Sarah's videos. Great training aides.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Thanks Rick. Both of my DDs get to what I think is the right glove position during drills, the glove is about head high. But in the full motion they both stop below the chest. I've never cued them with a glove shove, I have been trying to get them to think of more of an X position, but it does not seem to take root. Any magic drills for how to slay this dragon? I'm not too concerned with the little one as she has only been pitching for a few weeks and I have ben reinforcing it quite a bit so it hasn't set as a flaw yet, but the older one is further along and it is one of her top three flaws. I actually think that if she fixes this then her posture at landing will improve and her leaning over after release will be improved.

Jul 17, 2012
Original post edited in quote for effect
Both of my DDs get to what I think is the right glove position during drills........But in the full motion they both stop below the chest..........Any magic drills for how to slay this dragon?
Things that make you go Hmmmmm. Here's the drill.... position yourself comfortably on a bucket about 40' away from your daughter. Tell her to fire away...... you simply say... "Get the glove up higher" ...... or "Awesome!!!"
By the way.... Ducky post killed me.... hysterical.....but your DD definately was focused.....in fact, decapitating poor Dexter didn't seem to distract her at all....lol

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Things that make you go Hmmmmm. Here's the drill.... position yourself comfortably on a bucket about 40' away from your daughter. Tell her to fire away...... you simply say... "Get the glove up higher" ...... or "Awesome!!!"

I have actually tried the verbal cues FR. over and over and over again. They don't work, "get higher" just is not doing it. Or rather, it does it temporarily. There has to be a smarter way/better cue.

May 29, 2013
Do you want the glove hand to loosly fall down, is it pulled down, or is it something else? In that video it looks like her entire glove side rotates from thumb up/bicep in to a palm up/ bicep up. Is that a style thing or does that have purpose?

Thanks

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2013
Good to see this. Our PC actually has DD do "Ks" like an "H" or "X" just for the purpose of getting the glove nice and high like this. Kind of the theory of putting it a little higher than it will go so when you are at full pitch it doesn't start to low. Thanks for validating!

JJ
I am going to post two videos I have put up previously. To train the glove whirl needs to be a repeated action in warm up drills. These two videos are similar to the warm up positions I have all my students perform at. In the case of your DD's you may have to exaggerate the height of the glove whirl to get it to where you really want it to be when they throw off the mound.
This glove whirl up to 2 o'clock is very integral to getting a backward spine tilt at landing (about 8 degrees behind vertical). So when you go to the mound for your warm ups encourage both the glove whirl and landing with tilt.
It is not easy to modify an ingrained movement so be patient with this.

This "K"/Slingshot position is the third progression step I use in a warm up.

Thanks Rick. Both of my DDs get to what I think is the right glove position during drills, the glove is about head high. But in the full motion they both stop below the chest. I've never cued them with a glove shove, I have been trying to get them to think of more of an X position, but it does not seem to take root. Any magic drills for how to slay this dragon? I'm not too concerned with the little one as she has only been pitching for a few weeks and I have ben reinforcing it quite a bit so it hasn't set as a flaw yet, but the older one is further along and it is one of her top three flaws. I actually think that if she fixes this then her posture at landing will improve and her leaning over after release will be improved.

The fourth progression is from what I term "Parallel Powerline", similar starting position as this drill(not the crossfire/cannonball part of the drill though). Many pitchers skip over this progression, but I think it is important...another link in the whole backward chaining type teaching.

JJ
I am going to post two videos I have put up previously. To train the glove whirl needs to be a repeated action in warm up drills. These two videos are similar to the warm up positions I have all my students perform at. In the case of your DD's you may have to exaggerate the height of the glove whirl to get it to where you really want it to be when they throw off the mound.
This glove whirl up to 2 o'clock is very integral to getting a backward spine tilt at landing (about 8 degrees behind vertical). So when you go to the mound for your warm ups encourage both the glove whirl and landing with tilt.
It is not easy to modify an ingrained movement so be patient with this.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06