Gimmicks, Gadgets, Magic

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
starsnuffer. Discuss hitting deflated objects with young girls with Marc or any trainer. The impact on the wrist can do damage. I will try to show you some pictures of some kids that got hurt doing this from another site.

Jul 26, 2010
starsnuffer. Discuss hitting deflated objects with young girls with Marc or any trainer. The impact on the wrist can do damage. I will try to show you some pictures of some kids that got hurt doing this from another site.

That's good info. Are you saying that hitting heavy bags and tires is good but deflated volleyballs is not, or are you saying hitting anything of a weight more substantial then a normal softball is bad?

-W

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
We do not hit basketballs or volleyballs or tires. It puts way too much stress on the shoulder, elbow and wrists. Keep in mind we are working with females and in most cases young females. They are some studies on this and I will try to post them for you. You want resistance for bat speed and follow through to extension not an almost stopping motion that using basketballs cause and getting them to extend through and finish over their shoulder.

Last edited:
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I use a pool noodle attached to a batting tee to illustrate the path of the ball. I show the girls how you want the bat to get into the path of the ball and have a head-on collision with it. I show them that you don't want to swing the bat in a manner such that it will chop down or cut across the path of the ball. This setup also lets me demonstrate the idea of a long contact zone, not the short zone that you get when you cut across the path of the ball. I then explain what is meant by the plane of the swing and how it should match the path of ball. For actual practice I attach wiffle balls to the noodle in a way that makes them swing on plane. The whole setup comes apart and it should because it frequently gets blasted by bad swings.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
soft toss black eye peas

Only when their swing mechanics are locked in correctly. Doing this drill with poor swing mechanics can do more harm than good, because it becomes about hitting the peas rather than learning to swing the bat. I'm working with a girl this year who would collapse her back side precisely because "Uncle Johnny" used to take her out and do that. She's much better now, and hitting the ball better too.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Exactamundo....

It's amazing the spectrum of how long it takes different girls to get the action....some girls figure it out in 2 swings....others go through 2 buckets of tennis balls and never hit one solid....I am considering the fact that these girls aside from mechanical issues (pull the front elbow) do not track the ball well...when they actually swing and miss....and other girls on an outside toss will lean in more and extend the front arm and punch it opposite field....the other girls wave at it and miss.....

It's a fun drill (mostly) that teaches the bottom hand action....

Originally Posted by FiveFrameSwing
To work the backhand action of the lead-arm?

So a right handed hitter is hitting backhands with the left hand correct? (playing like a left handed tennis player)

R

RayR

RH hitter using bottom hand only (left hand) standing from the right side. It is just a bottom hand swing using a tennis racket. Trying to turn the racket netting into the ball....if they hit with the edge of the racket they are pulling the knob and pull the front shoulder out...

First attempt is correct, second one is not what we want

BStennisdry.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Exactamundo....

It's amazing the spectrum of how long it takes different girls to get the action....some girls figure it out in 2 swings....others go through 2 buckets of tennis balls and never hit one solid....I am considering the fact that these girls aside from mechanical issues (pull the front elbow) do not track the ball well...when they actually swing and miss....and other girls on an outside toss will lean in more and extend the front arm and punch it opposite field....the other girls wave at it and miss.....

It's a fun drill (mostly) that teaches the bottom hand action....

25yvg4g.gif

2dlj1qf.gif

Oct 25, 2009
That's good info. Are you saying that hitting heavy bags and tires is good but deflated volleyballs is not, or are you saying hitting anything of a weight more substantial then a normal softball is bad?

-W

Hitting deflated volleyballs and basketballs off of a tee is not very dangerous for kids around 14 and up. Depending on physical condition, of course. That holds true for both sexes.

Tossing the deflated balls is another story. But even then the biggest danger is the bat ricocheting off the ball into the knee on inside pitches. I would recommend against front toss for that reason.

I have found punching bags to be very beneficial. The kids need to be taught that they are coming to point of contact only (no attempt whatsoever to follow through; not even a little). One of the bags I use is a 25-lb. free-swinging bag.

One of the drills I use with that bag is to have the kids move the bag just by pushing against it while the top hand is holding the bat like an oar-lock while the bottom hand manipulates the bag. Kind of like the hammer effect. Harder to explain than demonstrate.

Do be alert to the kids complaining of it hurting when they hit the deflated balls or the bags; if they are swinging wrong it can definitely hurt. But this is true of many drills.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterp