Gif of Lauren Chamberlain

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
tumblr_nomkokcA7Q1usf292o1_400.gif

JMHO..but, I believe Lauren gets 'separation'.

The black object behind her looks a lot like the punching bags you'll see at Doc Yeager's facility.

2rpcm6q.jpg

Sep 29, 2014

It does seems silly to pick apart a hitter like Laurens' swing apart but just like great pitchers they do some things that you would not teach, even though it might work for them. It would be interesting to compare this to her actual game swing though. Look at these two swings as far as head movement. You see one is still "in a box" while the other travels a few feet. Does not mean absolute rights and wrongs but again I would not teach that much back and forth in a swing. I'm going to go to the you tube video and freeze frame toe touch or in her case heel plant, even though she does not lift her leg there is a point where her front foot is not weight bearing then she comes down on her heel, while she might slide a little I think she keeps her coil until her front foot plants giving her separation.

Bottom line...while we might see things that are considered "technical flaws" if I were a her coach I would file any "flaws" I see under the if it ain't broke (GAME PERFORMANCE!!) don't fix it category. Why would you change anything the chances of getting in her head a messing up what she is doing right, crushing the ball, is just as high or higher than thinking you might get her to hit a couple more HRs

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2014
Here is the separation screen capture...she does appear to slide her hips before her foot is weight bearing but again what do we know.

Chamberlin.JPG

Sep 29, 2014
and finally and I'm out....this is why she hits so many HRs. Your swings does not look like this trying to do some drop the hands and swing level type swing, its a low outside pitch so you can see the classic bat angle hand above ball fully released hips and once she is done she does not even move she it still exactly where she started not falling forward or backwards perfectly balanced just like the MLB swing rdbass posted for comparison.

Chamberlin 2.JPG

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
and finally and I'm out....this is why she hits so many HRs. Your swings does not look like this trying to do some drop the hands and swing level type swing, its a low outside pitch so you can see the classic bat angle hand above ball fully released hips and once she is done she does not even move she it still exactly where she started not falling forward or backwards perfectly balanced just like the MLB swing rdbass posted for comparison.

View attachment 9638

Can't help but think that her upper lead arm (humerus) 'hugs' her torso somewhat.

Oct 10, 2011
I was interested in her swing because DD's coach has changed her stance and it is now as wide as Lauren's. DD has been hitting really well but her soon to be college coach did say he'll change it back as soon as he gets to work with her.
When I'm practicing with my daughter, is it still fine to "go big" with movements to be more athletic even though in TB practice they want the opposite? I would look at mine as a "drill"... Would that mess her up?

Sep 29, 2014
I was interested in her swing because DD's coach has changed her stance and it is now as wide as Lauren's. DD has been hitting really well but her soon to be college coach did say he'll change it back as soon as he gets to work with her.
When I'm practicing with my daughter, is it still fine to "go big" with movements to be more athletic even though in TB practice they want the opposite? I would look at mine as a "drill"... Would that mess her up?

I just probably would not teach that wide a stance; but again at contact it probably is about the right balance, so I would start slightly more feet together with a small stride forward but end up at the same place at contact.

Interesting thing is you usually seeing the back and forth movement with people that take big stride while the short stride/no stride camp usually does not have much if any back and forth but is more rotational; maybe she is compensating somehow for not striding with the back and forth....I'm getting way past any area of expertise now so I'll just go back to keeping quite

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi