getting worried

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 15, 2010
Don't mean to be a downer but I have to ask, "Are you crazy"? Allowing an inexperienced girl in the circle at 14U is asking for trouble. Some of the batters your DD will face can hit the ball 200'+ and the ball can come off the bat at 90 MPH. Without previous mound experience your DD will be a target. Keep her behind the plate where she belongs and let the pitchers be in the circle where they belong.

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
Does your daughter want to pitch?

-W

Originally, 2 years ago, she wanted to pitch. But the team she wanted to play with had 3 pitchers, so she decided she would learn to catch. Catching has completely changed her and made her very outgoing. You would be amazed at the difference in her from 2 years ago.

She did mention to me a few months ago that she would like to learn to pitch. She doesn't want me to sink money into lessons, but she wants to know she can do it. That is the only position on the field that she doesn't know how to play and she wants to be a full utility player.

Oh and that team that we are picking up the pitcher from can keep their catcher. She was HORRIBLE!! Somehow, in her stance, she would manage to rest her elbow on her knee. Sadly, I think she was just given gear and told to go catch with no one to really work with her.

I also do know that my DD doesn't really have any business catching a 7 game tournament in the 100 degree temps we will have.

Mar 13, 2010
That is the only position on the field that she doesn't know how to play and she wants to be a full utility player.

Your daughter is a full utility player. If she can play anywhere on the field excluding pitcher and catcher, she is a full utility player. No-one expects anyone to be able to play all positions in softball.

Your daughter is still young, so encourage her to do her best and try pitching, but remember a very important saying 'Jack of all trades, master of none' If she wants to go far, she needs to pick a position and needs to do so within the next year (I'm assuming 12? based on her being a young U14 player) She might be able to both pitch and catch competently, but she will never master both. Not in the short timeframe she has.

Nov 29, 2009
the coach decided he needed to develop another pitcher for an upcoming tourney. and my dd was the best option.

so he informed me that she will be getting some mound time this weekend. YIKES! I don't know how to be a pitcher mom. Not to mention it will be the blind leading the blind with an inexperienced pitcher AND catcher.

This is a recipe for disaster for your daughter. Her arm will be falling off. As a catcher she's throwing the ball back almost every pitch and trying to pitch on top of that. NOT GOOD!!!!

Couple of years ago I had a parent telling me his daughter had arm pain and soreness. "There must be something wrong with her mechanics." After watching her I found nothing seriously flawed with her mechanics.

After further digging I find out she is the #1 catcher and #2 pitcher. So when she's not catching she's pitching. I told the dad she could not do both and survive. It's too much for her body to handle, especially her arm. Dad looked at me like I had two heads. He was the head coach. I never saw the girl after that. I do think she over rode him and decided to quit pitching. One of my other girls plays on the same HS team with her and said she doesn't pitch in HS.

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
Your daughter is a full utility player. If she can play anywhere on the field excluding pitcher and catcher, she is a full utility player. No-one expects anyone to be able to play all positions in softball.

Your daughter is still young, so encourage her to do her best and try pitching, but remember a very important saying 'Jack of all trades, master of none' If she wants to go far, she needs to pick a position and needs to do so within the next year (I'm assuming 12? based on her being a young U14 player) She might be able to both pitch and catch competently, but she will never master both. Not in the short timeframe she has.

She is about to turn 13, so you were right on her age.

her true love is catching and that is where she wants to be.

We just finished our weekend (7gg) and she never pitched an inning. He was going to put her in the last inning of the last game, but it never happened and she was glad. She did love the chance to play short stop a bit, but hated the game where she sat out to rest.

I think to her the concept of being able to pitch was exciting, but she was scared to death of the probabliy of it when it all came down to it.

I hope she chooses to keep playing in the dirt behind the plate.

Jul 9, 2010
After catching, you don't have the legs to pitch, even if you are a good pitcher to begin with. I think that pitching and catching are the only two mutually exclusive positions - you just can't do both.

I'll tell you this too - as you get older, good catchers are a very hard to come by commodity - they are in very high demand. I think there are more pitchers around than catchers by the time you are in 16 and 18U. It's not a bad choice to make, especially if she loves it. At the end of the day, you have to love it to excel at it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes