getting noticed by colleges

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Coach K, one of the Tuft's pitchers Aly Moskowitz used to give lessons to DD. We never saw her play college but she was a workhorse in HS. Good luck to your DD.

Mar 14, 2009
Aly is a great young lady

Coach K, one of the Tuft's pitchers Aly Moskowitz used to give lessons to DD. We never saw her play college but she was a workhorse in HS. Good luck to your DD.

Because we are only 55 minutes from the SB field, I got to know most of the players pretty well. Aly is a great young student athlete. We had the team over for dinner as they returned from a 2 day trip in Mane at one of the ME NESCAC schools, just a great group of players, super smart, funny, polite, very very tight as a team. During the DI WCWS, they were texting and tweeting each other all weekend, many very funny comments. Aly has one more year left to play, Tufts finished 4th on the NFCA final poll and are only losing 3 starters. #1 pitcher is a lights out rising sophomore (among her records this year, 2 consecutive perfect games, 3 over all a DIII career record I think.
Anyone who thinks DIII is a lesser game, you have to see it played at the top of the division, virtually every player on the 8 teams in the final could play DI (maybe not ASU, UCLA, Bama or OK but for any others). :)

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Because we are only 55 minutes from the SB field, I got to know most of the players pretty well. Aly is a great young student athlete. We had the team over for dinner as they returned from a 2 day trip in Mane at one of the ME NESCAC schools, just a great group of players, super smart, funny, polite, very very tight as a team. During the DI WCWS, they were texting and tweeting each other all weekend, many very funny comments. Aly has one more year left to play, Tufts finished 4th on the NFCA final poll and are only losing 3 starters. #1 pitcher is a lights out rising sophomore (among her records this year, 2 consecutive perfect games, 3 over all a DIII career record I think.
Anyone who thinks DIII is a lesser game, you have to see it played at the top of the division, virtually every player on the 8 teams in the final could play DI (maybe not ASU, UCLA, Bama or OK but for any others). :)

While maybe not equal to the D1 powers in SB, Tufts and the other NESCAC DIII schools are among the nations academic heavyweights. Kudos to your DD and tell her she's lucky she doesn't have to face her own #1 - my DD is headed to college this fall and is hoping that not all college pitchers are that good as she's had only slightly more than no success in that capacity!

Oct 1, 2010
Marietta, GA
This is a great thread. I don't know that my input will make much difference, but in case it might help, here it is. MY DD is a 2013. Her SAT's are 2000+ and her ACT is a 33. She wants to go to a top academic school and has been pursuing many of those mentioned here. She is a very good player, but certainly not an SEC/PAC 12, etc. type.

She did get some looks from the Ivies, but most are on the fence still. I think she might be on the list, but not the top. A couple of Patriot league teams have shown interest. [sidenote: the Patriot League has scholarships now - though they may not all be fully funded]. She has also gotten interest from several top D3's including NESCAC and similar schools. Her focus is on which school feels right, while her mother and I are looking at the financials. Ultimately her choice will be the school she loves the most, that we can afford, and hopefully where she can play softball.

She has attended the Pennsbury academic camp twice. I think it's something that should be done, but, frankly I don't think it means much unless you're a pitcher. All the NFCA camps use pitching machines and dimple balls to show hitting. I haven't had my players hit off machines in years. I don't think it gives a very accurate indication of how a girl can really hit.

Also, we know that she will be into her senior year before she knows where she is going. The higher academic schools simply wait longer to make their decisions. The admissions office has greater say, even when the coach wants a player there are some strict limits. One coach told us she needed a minimum SAT of 2100 or ACT of 32 to even talk to admissions. Another coach asked my DD to pick up an extra science AP her senior year. It won't be easy, but she is committed and we are hoping for the best.

Mar 14, 2009
Good luck Daddylawman. Take a look at the Tufts August Summer camp. Come to Boston, at least one of the centers of education in the US. Visit a lot of schools including Harvard (litterly 15 minutes from Tufts), MIT, BC, BU, Northeastern, Wellsely and Wheaton, all in or around Boston. Dartmouth is about 2.5 hours as is Yale. Colby, Bates and Bowdoin are 2-3 hours up in Maine. Amherst, Smith, Mt Holyoke about 1.5 hours and Trinity and Weslyan about 1.5 hours from the Tufts campus and 45 minutes from Yale. RPI and Union are about 3.5 hours. Come for a week, do a 3 day camp in front of a lot of coaches who can talk to you and with college players who can tell you anything you want. 3-4 more days and you can see all these schools and more.
Ivy's and NESCAC's have no athletic or even merit money, strictly financial aid (as one financial aid officer put it, who would we give merit money to, we only accept the top 2-4%, can't pick one over another). However, they all have huge endowments so the financial aid is pretty generous for most of the Ivy's and NESCAC schools, generally right around the EFC from FASTFA. The package is often better than schools who give athletic and merit money
We had parents fly in from California, Texas and St Louis in softball and field hockey for regular season games and the playoffs and NCAA's, but many games are video streamed live so if you are far away, you still get to see her play.
Those are great scores, smart youg lady. If a coach is interested and she likes the school, they will tell her to apply early decision, deadline around 11/1, you will know by 12/15.
See my first post for the link to the camp broshure. If she is thinking about schools in New England.
Good luck and enjoy the experience.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Good luck Daddylawman. Take a look at the Tufts August Summer camp. Come to Boston, at least one of the centers of education in the US. Visit a lot of schools including Harvard (litterly 15 minutes from Tufts), MIT, BC, BU, Northeastern, Wellsely and Wheaton, all in or around Boston. Dartmouth is about 2.5 hours as is Yale. Colby, Bates and Bowdoin are 2-3 hours up in Maine. Amherst, Smith, Mt Holyoke about 1.5 hours and Trinity and Weslyan about 1.5 hours from the Tufts campus and 45 minutes from Yale. RPI and Union are about 3.5 hours. Come for a week, do a 3 day camp in front of a lot of coaches who can talk to you and with college players who can tell you anything you want. 3-4 more days and you can see all these schools and more.
Ivy's and NESCAC's have no athletic or even merit money, strictly financial aid (as one financial aid officer put it, who would we give merit money to, we only accept the top 2-4%, can't pick one over another). However, they all have huge endowments so the financial aid is pretty generous for most of the Ivy's and NESCAC schools, generally right around the EFC from FASTFA. The package is often better than schools who give athletic and merit money
We had parents fly in from California, Texas and St Louis in softball and field hockey for regular season games and the playoffs and NCAA's, but many games are video streamed live so if you are far away, you still get to see her play.
Those are great scores, smart youg lady. If a coach is interested and she likes the school, they will tell her to apply early decision, deadline around 11/1, you will know by 12/15.
See my first post for the link to the camp broshure. If she is thinking about schools in New England.
Good luck and enjoy the experience.

Good info and suggestions. Don't forget to add Brandeis to those top Boston area schools. And I'd suggest adding Williams (NW Mass), Middlebury (VT) and Skidmore (NY) to the NY/New England schools w/in 3-4 hrs of Boston. FWIW, Northampton is a great college area, but Mt. Holyoke doesn't field an intercollegiate SB team and Smith hasn't been competitive for a while now.

And as CoachK noted, all the schools mentioned have major endowments and have no problem meeting demonstrated financial need. The biggest challenge is on the admissions side and SB can be a differentiating factor.

Oct 1, 2010
Marietta, GA
Thanks folks. She has done the Amherst camp and loved it. Has also visited Dartmouth, Columbia, Princeton and Lafayette. We did Tufts by ourselves on the way to the airport. Beautiful school. I'm hoping to get her up there for the Tufts camp. Georgia is one of those states that plays high school ball in the Fall so her season starts right after ASA Nationals which makes some of these trips tougher.

Mar 14, 2009
I would certainly endorse the 4 schools mentioned by Greenmonsters. My bad on Mt Holyoke. Embarrassed by missing Skidmore since I lived in Saratoga for many years and rented apartments to Skidmore students. Smith will get better, Whitney Mollica is the head assistant and doing great things with the program. Whitney holds several UMass records as a 4 year starter and is the grand daughter of a legendary coach, Don Zimmer. If she stays at Smith, the program has a great future, she is a wonderful coach. If I were looking to build a DIII softball program, she would be my choice of an up and coming young coach, and she is really a nice person as well.

Oct 1, 2010
Marietta, GA
I would certainly endorse the 4 schools mentioned by Greenmonsters. My bad on Mt Holyoke. Embarrassed by missing Skidmore since I lived in Saratoga for many years and rented apartments to Skidmore students. Smith will get better, Whitney Mollica is the head assistant and doing great things with the program. Whitney holds several UMass records as a 4 year starter and is the grand daughter of a legendary coach, Don Zimmer. If she stays at Smith, the program has a great future, she is a wonderful coach. If I were looking to build a DIII softball program, she would be my choice of an up and coming young coach, and she is really a nice person as well.

Coach, Whitney is at Amherst. She is an awesome young coach and I'm sure part of the reason for their great success in 2012. She alone is the reason my DD is in love with that school.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06