Getting a good jump off base

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Any good videos on teaching the best technique for getting a good lead?

My players don't time their leads very well. We're getting off too late.

Any advice? Tips? Seems I recall reading some debate about whether runners should begin with one foot behind the base or in front. Be curious to get some feedback.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
I think it depends on the runner. When my DD was younger, her coaches did a timing drill for the girls to get their timing down. They should start their lead when the pitcher's arm is at 12:00. The drill worked like this: pitcher on the rubber with a coach standing where they had a good view of the pitcher's release. The runners lined up at a base. Another coach stood where they had a good view of the runner's feet and the bag. Each coach had a whistle. The coach watching the pitcher blew their whistle as the pitcher released the ball, the coach watching the runner blew their whistle when the runner's foot left the bag. The goal was to have both whistles blow at the same time or preferable, the runner's whistle slightly ahead of the pitcher's.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Have used this drill and it is really good. The only difference that I learned from coach Larabee at UOA, we use the gap in the pitchers front leg to start, not the arm in the K position. Plus we use the rocker step. So our running is in full motion at close to release. Last night we worked on this and one thing you need to look at , watch the head. Some are too upright. Others don't pump the arms, correctly. They come across the body.

Feb 21, 2012
I was at a college tournament a couple weekends ago and saw a team that ran the bases like track stars. I was so very impressed. They all started in a track runner stance, low and puching off the bag where they would be in full running motion by the time they actually left the bag. I had not ever seen a team leave the bags better. I fully intend to teach this method to my girls for next season and have encouraged my girls this season to try it.

I love the idea of this drill. The whistles are a great idea. i will try this one as well with the track runner start. Thanks!

Aug 2, 2008
The whistle drill is good. I also tell them to sprint to there lead, its like hitting where you are thinking hit, hit, hit, then pull off if you dont like the pitch. They must think "I am stealing this base" watch the trajectory of the ball and sprint for 2 or 3 steps.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
When the pitcher strides you will see the gap. We use this instead of the hand in the K position. If you are using the rocker step , this gets you moving and you still have contact with the back foot. I won't take credit for it, picked it up from Coach B.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
When the pitcher strides you will see the gap. We use this instead of the hand in the K position. If you are using the rocker step , this gets you moving and you still have contact with the back foot. I won't take credit for it, picked it up from Coach B.

OK, I understand the gap now. But at what point in the stride does the runner begin her move? Does the runner's stride mirror the pitcher's stride?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt_g